Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Cell phone reception

6/4/18 @ 7:59 PM
ORIGNAL POST
fetch-um-up
User since 2/19/06

We're thinking about a satellite phone for our upcoming trip,  for emergencies only.  I was checking with Verizon and they claim to have good coverage in our fishing area, just south of Souix Lookout.  Does anyone have any experience with using cell phones in that general area?  They have an international add-on that is free to activate and only cost  $5 for 24 continuous hours of unlimited voice and text.  Sounds too good to be true?!....  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/7/18 @ 10:46 AM
Down2erth
Down2erth
User since 6/21/01

Where we go is between Sioux Narrows and Kenora on LOTW's at Witch Bay Camp and Cell service is non-existent. Unless you get up far enough into Andrews bay or even the Slate/Garity islands area and then you may hit the Kenora Tower on a good day!

6/6/18 @ 9:21 PM
fishhook
fishhook
User since 9/16/01

Canadian cell phone reception:

where we go,you might say we are off the grid. No cell reception,no internet.

It doesn't get any better!

I take my cell phone in with me for Picts,& music when desired.

6/5/18 @ 12:34 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
We were able to get 1 or 2 bars of signal strength in that area recently with Verizon service.

5/30/13 @ 9:13 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Some outfitters now rent satellite phones and there are several nationwide companies that also offer them as rentals. I've seen them offered for <$50 for a week.

I never trust a phone company when they claim to have good service in an area, especially that far north. Heck I can go 15 miles out of town and hit a dead spot.

6/14/13 @ 6:40 AM
14ftdown
14ftdown
User since 3/3/04

I gave it a thought when I was 12 miles away from my truck and my outboard wouldn't start and not another boat in sight all day. Thankfully it was just a spark plug. Would love to have cell coverage for emergencies.

6/5/18 @ 8:02 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

In recent years I have noticed there to be cell phone coverage. I haven't been up to the Sioux Lookout area but the signal is very strong in the Vermilion Bay area.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.