Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

What Do You Miss!

8/7/20 @ 8:31 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Shad
User since 8/27/01

After trying to immerse myself in Northern Wisconsin trying to put the void that I miss as an outfitter in northern Ontario, I wanted to start a thread with what you miss!  

For me as an outfitter, it starts with the solitude and wilderness.  From the gravel under your feet, smells, sights and sounds, there is no comparison to the far north.  A couple of morning ago I was awoke by one of our dogs to a bear at the Bird feeder as dawn came up!  I watched her and it brought a smile and tear to my eye as the Bear baiting is truly what I miss the most.  Not the bugs, hours, sweat and struggles, but searching and setting baits, all the creatures that I encounter, the thrill of a true hunter and the success!  As I write I can see Tim's face as he walked up to Henry and I sweating like a bastard from the mile walk in 100 degree heat!  To hear the story of the hunt, then as we tracked, found and dragged him out, simply priceless that in my heart and mind can never be duplicated!  I could go on and on with Moose, Grouse, Ducks, people and so much more, but as I miss so much of the far north, I wonder what does anyone else miss!  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/15/20 @ 7:56 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Kutt2 is that the portage to Wine lake?

8/14/20 @ 12:56 PM
Deadslewmark
User since 1/17/20

My deposit from Clark’s! Or at least a rollover. My biggest disappointment is not being treated with respect after treating Clark’s with respect for years. Thanks to all the outfits that are doing it right. It’s the only reason my group is going back to Canada. The one bad apple needs a lesson in how to treat customers fair. Looking for nothing more than that. I’ve done plenty of fishing this summer. Having Walleye for dinner tonight!

8/11/20 @ 7:44 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

Not trying to convince anyone to not go to Canada, but if stuck in country... Go west, not East or South if looking for similar wilderness experience.  

8/11/20 @ 5:03 PM
Canada Bound
User since 2/19/10

Well big musky I’m glad you found a place you enjoy. Since 1998 I don’t even know how to come up with a number but I’ve been to Canada somewhere between 60 to 80 times for fishing trips. I’m definitely addicted to it. nothing in Wisconsin even comes close. I liked it so much that a few years ago I bought a little place on a lake up there. Not only the fishing is hard to beat but the overall experience, the wildlife, the setting in general is hard to beat. To me it’s a unique find something that I’m anxiously waiting to enjoy again.

8/11/20 @ 2:34 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I have done Canada a few times and you really do not need to leave the country for that experience...just go west guys.       

8/11/20 @ 8:00 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

Canada Bound

Really enjoyed your pictures.  Brought back many memories. I thought my group was the only one that did crazy things like taking a boat where it didn't belong. The Lake  we go to has about 200 yards of a twisting and turning Creek that leads to a very good adjoining Lake. The beaver dams are so bad many years that it's impossible to get into the lake. I remember years, particularly when I was younger, where we spent well over an hour pulling boats over beaver dams or taking the dams apart log by log, just to get into the lake. What fishermen don't do it to get to magical waters.

8/11/20 @ 6:33 AM
Canada Bound
User since 2/19/10

My favorite part has to be the adventure as well, with a little bit of work it’s always nice going into a lake where you don’t see another boat. And catching a persons limit in 20 minutes doesn’t hurt either!

8/10/20 @ 8:55 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

We go to a remote lake by airplane. There are eight of us. It's a blend of being alone on a lake yet knowing your safe with other guys around. Getting out early and watching the sunrise is fantastic. The first few hours in the morning are very precious. The same applies to the last few hours before the sun sets. There certainly is the adventure aspect of the entire week. Great fishing, great company and great adventure. The only important decision to be made is where you're going to go fishing. Our familiarity with our Lake also helps a great deal.

Tried a  trip to Lake Erie as an alternative to missing Canada this year. While enjoyable, I prefer to spend my money on a trip to Canada. No comparison.

Unfortunately, what I thought would be a few months of pandemic I have now concluded even puts next May in jeopardy. Sure hope I'm wrong!

8/10/20 @ 7:13 AM
Shad
User since 8/27/01

Fantastic picture, yes interesting how mornings become enjoyable when you are away from work.  Listening to the Loons as they sing are priceless.  The rail runs near our camp and interestingly that sound I miss too, but when up there I do not care for it much.

8/9/20 @ 7:42 PM
Kutt2
Kutt2
User since 10/31/15

I miss the adventures the most

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 24 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.