SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Wabigoon vs Eage Lake

6/21/17 @ 7:46 AM
INITIAL POST
cajunmusky
User since 8/22/05

I hope somebody with more experience than myself can jump in and help me out-  I have done week long trips on Wabigoon in late Sep- early Oct for the last two years, and have to say that overall I am a bit disappointed in the fishing-  smallies are few and far between, pike have been fair to good, and muskies are fair-  part of the issue is that I am not a fan of the discolored water on Wabigoon- mostly a diluted milky white, main lake clarity is about a foot or so.  I spend about half my time on the clearer connected lakes to the south and have most of my success there.  My question is, does Eagle have the same discoloration?  Is Eagle clearer, milkier, etc. 

I have enjoyed my time on Wab, great camp owners, always have a good time, good price, and I know there are 70+ in muskies in the lake, but I am not opposed to the idea of trying Eagle if the water clarity is better.

Any advice from folks that have experience on both?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
6/23/17 @ 2:44 PM
cajunmusky
User since 8/22/05

Thanks again to all who offered their knowledge-  I will look at getting a resort/camp on Eagle for the last of Sept/early Oct this fall- I won't empty the lake, just a few perch for a one-time fry up.  Everything else is CNR.

Good luck up there! 

6/23/17 @ 5:47 AM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10

Yes water is super clear in the west arm of eagle.it gets darker as you go east but still pretty clear.but if you  go into osborne bay it will darken up a bit more but you can still see fairly good.

6/22/17 @ 10:35 AM
BPW
BPW
User since 7/4/06

In the village of Vermilion Bay there is a public launch (Government Dock, in Canadian parlance) that is very nice and easy to find.  It is less than a mile off the highway on paved roads. Give it a try.

6/22/17 @ 8:35 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

I have been fishing the Portage Bay area of Eagle for about 8 years now and fishing has been very good. Good water clarity. (8-10 feet) I have caught good numbers of larger pike while musky fishing. I have caught a few musky with largest at 46". Plenty of follows with some 50+ inch fish. (I don't fish all day every day for them so numbers aren't there for me.) Smallmouth fishing is excellent. Can go out and catch 20-30 in a couple hours and all are usually 16-20". As stated previously the farther north and west you go the clearer the water gets. I haven't wandered up that way too much as the fishing has been great where we stay. 

6/22/17 @ 7:40 AM
cajunmusky
User since 8/22/05

BPW-

Thanks for the reply, it really helps a lot-  I would still be open to other peoples' opinions, if anyone else cares to comment. 

I am not a walleye guy, catch a few unintentionally for the pan if I decide to look for perch on a bluebird day, mostly looking for the larger pike/skis or smallies.

Again, I am not unhappy with my experience on Wab, Terry and Merril are great folks and run a great camp-  BPW, I have noticed that there are several boat ramps to put in on Eagle-  If I was to drive my rig over from Wab for a days fishing on Eagle, where would you suggest I put in?  Would the owners at VB resort have a problem with launching out of there for the day?

6/21/17 @ 2:47 PM
BPW
BPW
User since 7/4/06

I have fished the Vermilion Bay and West Arm sections of Eagle for 10 years.  Vermilion Bay is quite clear and moderately fertile while the lake gets clearer, deeper and less fertile as you move west.  I have been very happy with the numbers and size of both walleye and muskie in these areas.  The Vermilion Bay region is easier to fish and has produced more fish for me but I really like the deep, gin clear waters of the West Arm region when conditions are favorable.  Love the experience at Vermilion Bay Lodge as well.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE