SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Trolling Motor on Rented Boat

4/2/24 @ 11:00 AM
INITIAL POST
goelke
User since 1/26/10

I need to rent a second boat for this year's trip to Canada. I'm renting a 17' Lund with 50HP motor. The issue it doesn't come with a trolling motor. Has anyone tried to mount a front trolling motor on a rented boat? Thanks

Trolling Motor on Rented Boat photo by goelke
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
4/2/24 @ 1:36 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
This maybe a totally naïve question and assume you are talking about an electric trolling motor?  But why do you think you need a trolling motor.  I am curious about the application.  I could see maybe if you wanted to cruise shore line and cast for pike, but that 50hp yamaha will probably throttle down to nothing.  And if is an electric motor you are talking about then you will need a battery as the house battery is probably just a starting battery on the camp boat and not a deep cycle.   Just thinking what I use my electric trolling motor for in Canada and its cruising shoreline when the guys want to cast for pike, or if we need to spot lock on structure that we can't anchor, or if we spot lock on deep Lake trout that we want to vertical jig on.   But that is nothing that I would just be able to sling onto a camp boat.  If it truly is just for trolling that yamaha will be fine and save you a pile of work trying to strap an electric motor to the camp boat, other than a simple old fashion tiller electric.  
4/2/24 @ 11:57 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Can't imagine the owner would be cool with holes being drilled to accommodate it. Might be better off with some boards and some clamps and using a stern mount TM. Not hands free but not sure how you could swing mounting a bow mount on a boat that's not yours. 
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE