Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Travel updated (CORVID-19)

3/17/20 @ 7:15 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Josh Varickanickal
User since 2/8/19

For anyone travelling to Canada or planning to travel to a lodge/outpost this summer the situation is obviously evolving. We at CFF are hopeful that the measures being taken will help reduce the severity and spread of COVID-19. 

We will be posting updates for travellers to Canada in this thread. For the time being here is the link to the government of Canada public health website: 

[url]https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html[/url] 

Please exercise caution, protect yourself, and follow the directions of your respective governments and health agencies. 

For the time being the border closure does NOT apply to US citizens and hopefully with the measures being taken the spread of this disease will be reduced and contained allowing life to return to normal in time for the fishing season.

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 63 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/26/20 @ 6:27 AM
Josh Varickanickal
User since 2/8/19

Some very hopeful news from the Italian town of Vo where the first COVID-19 fatality in Italy occurred. As an outfitter I can say there is not yet enough information to have clarity and make sense of these unprecedented circumstances. I can speculate around every potential scenario and how it might play out but the reality is that over the next 30 days the facts will be come much clearer. Once it is clear how the virus is progressing we can make informed and well thought out decisions. 

I am hopeful and optimistic that the aggressive measures being taken by our respective governments and health agencies will have a positive impact and allow our lives to return to normal. It is clear from the article below that it is possible to reduce and even stop the spread of this virus. 

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-tuesday-edition-1.5508052/how-one-italian-town-managed-to-stop-the-coronavirus-in-its-tracks-1.5508059

3/25/20 @ 7:59 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Our group had a fly-in booked for the 1st week of June and I contacted our outfitter yesterday to get their thoughts on options(if needed).. Outfitter mentioned it may not make sense to even open their fly-in camps this year if they lose the month of June.. They are concerned if they will even have their fly-in business next year if they were to lose the season.. Of course no one knows right now what is going to happen in May/June etc and I am still hopeful that we can make our trip this year.. Would be a bummer to lose our deposit but I know outfitters may be losing their whole business if we can not get this virus mess contained and managed.

I would suggest that anyone who has a trip planned to Canada get ahold of your outfitter to check on options.

3/18/20 @ 9:33 AM
Josh Varickanickal
User since 2/8/19

Here are links to updates from Canadian Prime Minister: 

Link to the US President address scheduled for 1130 EST:

3/18/20 @ 9:23 AM
Deerlake1
User since 6/20/13

They just closed the border.

3/18/20 @ 6:10 AM
Josh Varickanickal
User since 2/8/19

It's becoming clear from a number of credible of sources that the border between USA and Canada will be closed for tourism. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canada-us-border-1.5501201 

It is clear the the goal is to curtail non-essential travel in order to reduce the spread of CORVID-19. As these steps are being taken early we are hopeful life will return to normal over the next 2 months. 

For those with trips scheduled we will obviously address the situation in detail in May when our situation and operations have clarity. In the meantime we are moving to operate the season as normal and are planning and preparing accordingly. 

Stay safe, stay healthy, and take action to protect yourself. 

P.S. we will provide more info as details as they become available. 

3/17/20 @ 9:20 AM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

We look forward to our annual fishing trip to N/W Ontario. Seems like we need to come up with alternative plans just in case.

Is anyone else feeling apprehensive about upcoming trip to Canada?

3/17/20 @ 9:02 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Thanks Josh.. Our trip is the first week in June and I will stay in contact with our outfitter.. I cherish our yearly Canada trip but certainly support all the efforts to contain and level off the spread of COVD19  

3/17/20 @ 8:56 AM
Josh Varickanickal
User since 2/8/19

Here is a link to the White house press briefing scheduled for 1130 today: 

The Canadian Prime Minister is also scheduled to speak at 1130: 

We will be posting updates and links to press briefings as they come out. 

3/17/20 @ 8:18 AM
Josh Varickanickal
User since 2/8/19

Please see the link below for updates from the Ontario premiers remarks.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/03/17/coronavirus-updates-canada-covid-19-ottawa-westjet.html

At this time the early and decisive action being taken by the Ontario government is to get ahead and stay ahead of the CORVID-19 outbreak. The federal government is not at this time considering declaring a state of emergency for Canada:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/03/17/liberals-not-yet-considering-declaring-covid-19-state-of-emergency-source-says.html

Stay posted for updates and links to press conferences.

3/17/20 @ 8:08 AM
Josh Varickanickal
User since 2/8/19
Hi Kona 77, my understanding is that travellers arriving by air are required to self-isolate for 14 days upon entry to Canada. In all reality with updates this morning of reduced flights into the country the goal is clearly to limit travel for the next 8 weeks. 

In an ideal scenario the restricted travel and self-isolation of travellers returning to Canada will help to bring this situation under control and return life to normal. It is clear that the actions being taken are to slow down the spread (flatten the curve) of COVID-19. 

Hopefully the actions being taken today will have a positive impact and return life to normal as quickly as possible. I will continue to post updates and links to press conferences to keep you posted on how this is evolving. 

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 63 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.