Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Travel updated (CORVID-19)

3/17/20 @ 7:15 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Josh Varickanickal
User since 2/8/19

For anyone travelling to Canada or planning to travel to a lodge/outpost this summer the situation is obviously evolving. We at CFF are hopeful that the measures being taken will help reduce the severity and spread of COVID-19. 

We will be posting updates for travellers to Canada in this thread. For the time being here is the link to the government of Canada public health website: 

[url]https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html[/url] 

Please exercise caution, protect yourself, and follow the directions of your respective governments and health agencies. 

For the time being the border closure does NOT apply to US citizens and hopefully with the measures being taken the spread of this disease will be reduced and contained allowing life to return to normal in time for the fishing season.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 64 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/8/20 @ 10:22 PM
Northwoodsbuckhunter
User since 4/28/05

It's time to consider the possibility that 2021 is in question, too.

When will the Canada-U.S. border reopen?

It came as no surprise to many people when the federal government announced last month that the Canada-U.S. land border — which closed on March 21 to non-essential traffic — would remain shut until at least Aug. 21. Canadians can still fly to the U.S., but that rule isn't reciprocal: Canada prohibits U.S. visitors from entering via all modes of transport. Canada and the U.S. review their border closure agreement every 30 days.

Several experts in different fields have told CBC News that they predict the border won't reopen until sometime next year. The main reason: COVID-19 cases are still surging in several U.S. states. "It doesn't seem to be getting any better in the U.S.," said U.S. immigration lawyer Len Saunders, whose office sits close to the Canadian border in Blaine, Wash. He believes the border could stay closed for another six months. "There's really no reason why the Canadian government, at this point, would want to open it up and subject Canadians to an increased rate of COVID infections."

Many Canadians have also made it clear that they want the border to stay shut for now. When Leger Marketing asked 1,500 Canadians last month if they thought the Canada-U.S. border should reopen at the end of July, 86 per cent of respondents said they were opposed to the idea. "As long as Canadians don't feel safe, then why force open that border when there's no strong political logic to doing it?" said economist Moshe Lander, a professor at Concordia University in Montreal. He predicts a possible border reopening in middle to late 2021 — if there's enough confidence at that point that the virus is under control.

7/14/20 @ 3:10 PM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

Here is a link to the most recent news article at Canada Broadcast Corporation regarding border closure. It is to be extended through August. Some discussion of extending much longer.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-us-border-closure-extended-august-1.5648879 

I always prefer to go to official sources for info rather than relying on somebody's cousin's friend heard something in passing...

7/13/20 @ 8:05 PM
Deerlake1
User since 6/20/13

New update not goodbye news.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/report-canada-extend-ban-essential-border-traffic-200713193820562.html

7/9/20 @ 11:31 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

Mopesrus thanks for the info. I looked up the website and lots of info. Any info on what is going on is greatly appreciated.

7/9/20 @ 8:17 AM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

CBSA customer service #1 (800) 461-9999 

https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.htm

7/8/20 @ 9:51 PM
Canada Bound
User since 2/19/10

Mossy horns what number did you call to get ahold of someone from the Canada border agency? I have tried to contact them but never was able to get ahold of anyone

7/8/20 @ 3:43 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

Guys

The border is not going to open anytime soon. Too much of a revival of the outbreaks. I am now concern about next May. I can see concern over the virus lasting a very long time. There will be some who worry for years. I see the possibility of some restrictions , even next year. Hope I am wrong. Miracles do happen.

7/7/20 @ 4:04 PM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I sent you a pm.

7/7/20 @ 2:50 PM
Mossy Horns
Mossy Horns
User since 6/15/01

Just talked to the Canada Border Agency. We all know that the current ban on leisure travel from US to Canada is in effect until July 21. They have implemented a "new" ban on foreign nationals entering Canada until Aug 31. This does not include Americans. This "new" ban also requires all that enter to quarantine for 14 days. I asked the border agent if this quarantine was for US citizens also. He said that yes it currently is. I asked him if the restrictions for US travel ends on July 21, will we have to quarantine.  He said he does not know.....

He said the following:

He only knows that the border from US is now closed until July 21

He said they are all assuming it will get extended because the past extensions were all based on the trends here in the US and as he sees it the trend continues to climb

He said if the border does open on July 21 there is nothing the says they will not impose the mandatory quarantine rules. 

In short...he does not know what will happen or what rules will be extended or implemented. His personal gut feeling is that the closure of the border will be extended.  

Needless to say. I canceled my aug trip today. Looking for places in wi now. 

7/7/20 @ 7:46 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

So what is the current situation on the border crossing?  I have not heard much in a week or so. What is the story some are saying about September 11th ? Any info would be great. Thanks.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 64 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.