Canadian Reports/Discussion

Taking a boat

8/7/22 @ 9:39 PM
INITIAL POST
catchfishwithchris
catchfishwithchris
User since 9/2/04

Greetings,

I have been to Canada fishing many times (I even lived there for awhile at one point), but I've always done fly-ins in the past.

Next summer, I'm looking at a trip where I could take a boat (ie mine) and I'm wondering if you have any tips/tricks/concerns or thoughts on doing so? 

Having only fished out of resorter rowboats, I think it could be a hell of a trip to have my rig for the week. Any info would be appreciated. If it matters, I would be going through the crossing at International Falls.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
8/11/22 @ 7:30 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

This post got me thinking the other night. Next time I take my boat to Canada I'm going to order a spare pre-greased hub/ bearing kit and bring it along. Looks like for my trailer they cost anywhere from $30 - $70+, depending on quality. If something happened it wouldn't take long to swap out the whole hub assembly and be on the way. 

8/8/22 @ 8:01 PM
Quester
User since 1/28/07

Depending upon the roads, gravel guard to protect your boat and a paddle or two.

8/8/22 @ 7:39 PM
Quackshot
Quackshot
User since 1/16/11

Our group has had the typical my boat vs camp boat discussion multiple times. Let's  face it if you smack a reef you, your insurance or the camp insurance you purchased for the trip is paying for the damages. With a good map chip and some guidance from the camp operators you should be fine. Many camps put bleach jugs on the hazards and will show you around for a couple hours on day one. Personally, I don't want to give up the comfort, convenience, spot lock and Helix electronics on my rig. Prior to this year (2019) I was using an 'upgraded' camp boat that included a 55lb bow trolling motor and Helix 5 2d with chart. This camp did not offer boat insurance and I managed to get an obstruction between the prop and the skeg bending the skeg. After some haggling, I ended up agreeing with the camp operator paying $300 Canadian. Boat parts are subject to import duty and are extremely expensive. Choice is yours. 

8/8/22 @ 1:24 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

In Canada you are required to carry a buoyant heaving line of at least 50'. You are also suppose to have a bailer (bucket or pail) or manual bilge pump.

Canada Safe Boating Guide

Page 17 shows safety equipment requirements.

8/8/22 @ 11:06 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

I’ve taken a boat (mine and others) to Canada many times. We’ve towed our boats about 1k miles (round trip) and then pulled them behind a houseboat on LOTW. 

Make sure your trailer is in good operating condition like others have said. Carrying the below mentioned things will make things easier if you should have a problem. Do the same with your boat. Having extra oil and spark plugs is a good idea, but not a necessity. I also would have extra shear pins for my smaller motor in my toolbox.

Do these simple things and you’ll be able to enjoy fishing in your own boat.

8/8/22 @ 10:16 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I've taken my boat a few times, no problems yet knock on wood. My biggest worry is blowing a trailer bearing, I make sure to grease them before but you never know. I will be taking a roll of flex seal tape on my next trip in case I get any minor hull cracks. I've talked to numerous people that have used this and it has gotten them out of some jams. 

For new places I ask the resort owner about rock piles, they usually are very helpful in telling you the ballbark areas. Some owners even mark them each year with old milk jugs. One place had a decent homemade map. Lets you know to slow down at least in certain areas. Depends what lake you are at and how many there are. I tend to follow my old gps tracks once I know they are safe. 

I wouldn't mind fishing out of resort boat, but the places we go don't offer trolling motors on them. A trolling motor is an absolute must for me the way I fish. I could make the exception if I ever did a fly in trip.

8/8/22 @ 9:02 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

My uncle took his boat about 4 hours north of International Falls for a trip once.

Smoked a rock and took out his lower unit.  

Once that was fixed, the entire engine wasn't working right.  When he had someone look at the motor, they said that the vibration from the long ride had loosened most everything inside of the engine.

To be fair, he got lost and ended up on dirt roads that were washboard for quite some time.

So, it was a catastrophe for him.

Me?  I've never taken my nice boat up there.  But...I would.  I'd just make sure I'm on a known lake, with a good map.  And I'd drive with a lot of caution.

I'd make sure that all straps are very tight and that I have a great transom saver.  New tires, couple of spares and a great jack.  

8/8/22 @ 8:26 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

I have not owned a boat for many years, but I have finished many remote lakes in Canada. What do you boat owners do on lakes you're not familiar with in relation to rocks and other boat damaging underwater hazards. I'm always worried about hitting some unknown object and causing considerable damage to the boat and motor I am running in Canada

8/8/22 @ 12:02 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I took my boat up to Red Lake, ON in 2015...crossed at International Falls as well. Other than the standard precautions I take on ANY long trip (check bearings, tire pressure, lights, etc) I didn't do anything special. I have a spare tire on my boat trailer, but did throw in an extra spare just for that trip, as once you get a couple hours north of the border, it may be difficult to find one if you need it. Make sure your registration is current and have fun!

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE