SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Source for salted minnows in Fort Frances or Dryden

1/10/23 @ 11:47 PM
INITIAL POST
PJL2112
User since 4/8/10

Last year our group was ordered to turn around and dump our salted minnows back in the USA. Does anyone know of a source for salted minnows just over the border? Fort Frances area preferred, but Dryden might work too.

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
1/17/23 @ 9:13 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Found it.  

https://www.ontario.ca/page/bait-management-review

A commercial bait license holder cannot buy or sell baitfish that have been preserved with salt. 

Source for salted minnows in Fort Frances or Dryden photo by Guidedfishing
1/17/23 @ 9:06 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

I remember reading somewhere that a commercial Ontario bait retailer could not buy or sell bait fish that have been preserved in salt.  Now the simple test would be if you call a couple local bait shops in the area.  I am going to bet they are going to say we will sell you minnows but you will need to brine them yourself which I know is not what your looking for.  I have not seen anything bait brined or salted available from retail bait dealers for a couple years.  I have seen frozen minnows, ie lake herring / cisco's but not even sure if they can legally sell them anymore.  My suggestion is give a couple shops on your route phone calls.  The transportation and location where bait from a specific area can be used has really been locked down in the last couple years.

good luck

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE