Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Refund of Deposit

5/7/20 @ 8:58 AM
ORIGNAL POST
wini
User since 3/27/06

Wanted to know the opinion of all of you who regularly go to Canada. I’m the leader of a group. The group can change each year by one or two guys. This year two of the guys our new.One of them is in his 80s and would actually fly into Wisconsin to join us this year. Age and health issues. This was going to be is once-in-a-lifetime fishing trip to Canada. Given that we are scheduled for the second week of the season, it looks like we are out of luck.

The outfitter I use purchased the business about three years ago. We have been going to this location for well over 20 years. Overall, the new owners have been decent and good. However, they are taking the position that they will roll the deposit over for a year or two but they will not return. This is not making the 80-year-old newcomer happy, given that he doesn’t think he will be able to go next year.

I can understand losing the deposit if you voluntarily do not go on the trip. However, this does not seem right to me, given that we cannot cross the border.  What do all of you think?

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 48 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/24/20 @ 10:33 AM
anneyealator
User since 6/24/12

Doesnt make Canada sound like the best of neighbors..theft is theft..by gunpoint or conversion..i would never accept rollovers..too many things can change in a year

5/24/20 @ 10:01 AM
cnrwi
User since 4/1/12

A deposit is just that, a deposit to hold your spot. No services have been rendered and it's not like these are last minute cancellations.  Can you imagine a restaurant charging you for a reservation you cancelled months in advance?  Your deposit was to hold your spot and should not be subject to owners financial responsibilities.  It's not that you don't want to go, they can not provide their service.  If you lost your job and still want to fish, would the owner wave your deposit? 

Let's be real, most resort owners are not poor. I know every one I have met had much more money than I. To me, not refunding your deposit is not only epically poor business practice, it's theft. I would tell them you can be open for me to fish at my reserved time ( not many of us can go whenever we want ), if you cannot uphold your commitment, I expect a full refund.  Again, no services rendered.

In your case if you want to just take care of it and still go back to the same resort, have the group or yourself refund the guys deposit.

At the resort I go to, I cannot imagine the owners keeping our deposit.  If they did, I'd never be back. I don't need people like that in my life.

5/23/20 @ 4:05 PM
wini
User since 3/27/06

If you are correct about Clarks not rolling over to next year,, they are off my list of possible outfitters my group would use. Shameful. $300.00 is too much to loose.

5/23/20 @ 1:10 PM
fish212
User since 11/12/15

I have 3 trips planned this year, one in may was canceled and deposit for 6 guys $2400 was rolled over too next spring, my 2nd trip 4 guys $1600 deposit for end of June through another outfitter is also preparing to roll over until next June, as for my 3rd trip I don't know yet as it's scheduled for early September, but all 3 of my trips are with different outfitters and all 3 are willing to reschedule for this year or next year, 

5/23/20 @ 12:33 PM
EsoxChuck
User since 5/23/20

We have a fly in booked for July 18th-25th through Clark's resorts and outposts.  They are saying that if the border is closed we can use the deposit for the week of  July 25th-Aug 1st, or on a 4 day trip Sept 9th-13th if the border opens.  The deposit is $300 per person, we have a group of 8.  They will not refund or rollover to next year.  Seems like bad business, and a lot like theft to me.  Would like to know what other outfitters are doing?

5/10/20 @ 8:02 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

I would have the other guys in the group pay the  80  year old his money back and find someone to fill his spot or at least someone on the hook for his spot in the event that he can't go whenever we all can cross the border.  

5/10/20 @ 7:21 AM
Credance
User since 5/6/20

Deposits usually aren't that much Our group 3 main people When we get deposits for our group it isn't separated all in one If one doesn't go we pay him back outfitter uses the deposit money for the year he only cars we have a good time if your outfitter claims the guy didnt come and the money was his You have had the wrong outfitter And I doubt that he will do that Talk to him  After all and 80 year old mans deposit is mostly pocket change

5/9/20 @ 10:11 PM
GROUPER
GROUPER
User since 12/6/02

Our outfitter is rolling our deposit to 2021. In the event we can’t go in 2021, she will refund the money next year. The deposits from this year will keep outfitters afloat. They know(hopefully) they will get money next year. Or just go in fall when bookings are low and normally cheaper.

5/8/20 @ 10:30 AM
fish212
User since 11/12/15

Contacted my outfitter and had no problem transferring my deposit from my opening May trip to next year, we have 6 in our group, if the outfitter is out of business next season due to losing the entire season, then our $400 a person deposits are a drop in the bucket for a business that's treated us like family and charged a very fair price for a great vacation experience for us for the past 12 years, I am more concerned about many of these businesses going under than my deposit, these are truly bad times. 

5/8/20 @ 8:41 AM
Jaypadg34
User since 5/8/20

When speaking with our outfitter, he said if the Canada were to lose the entire season, at least half the fly in outfitters would go out of business.  That's pretty sad for them and for us

That being said, there really are no options other than what others have suggested about buying out your friends deposit and hoping that they stay in business

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 48 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.