SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Refund of Deposit

5/7/20 @ 8:58 AM
INITIAL POST
wini
User since 3/27/06

Wanted to know the opinion of all of you who regularly go to Canada. I’m the leader of a group. The group can change each year by one or two guys. This year two of the guys our new.One of them is in his 80s and would actually fly into Wisconsin to join us this year. Age and health issues. This was going to be is once-in-a-lifetime fishing trip to Canada. Given that we are scheduled for the second week of the season, it looks like we are out of luck.

The outfitter I use purchased the business about three years ago. We have been going to this location for well over 20 years. Overall, the new owners have been decent and good. However, they are taking the position that they will roll the deposit over for a year or two but they will not return. This is not making the 80-year-old newcomer happy, given that he doesn’t think he will be able to go next year.

I can understand losing the deposit if you voluntarily do not go on the trip. However, this does not seem right to me, given that we cannot cross the border.  What do all of you think?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 58 posts
3/10/21 @ 6:39 PM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10

Never tested before boarding.Tested positive when they arrived

3/8/21 @ 9:24 PM
toughontrout
User since 12/21/20

BP1-Shame & Blame? Where's that coming from? I have not put blame on anyone, nor tried to shame them, I simply, very simply, want the FACTS! I went to your suggested website and read the article and you were only telling half-truths, but I'm not going to dissect everything you said.

Thanks for the website, and anyone else who would like the entire story, check it out

3/8/21 @ 6:52 PM
Bigpike1
User since 2/28/02

Instead of always playing shame and blame maybe you should try finding out for yourself.  Took me 2 minutes.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/many-covid-infected-passengers-aboard-three-haiti-to-montreal-flights-federal-data-shows-1.5276880

3/8/21 @ 5:20 PM
toughontrout
User since 12/21/20

A. If they were never tested, how can the claim be made that they were positive?

B. If they were tested and were positive, they would NOT have been allowed to roam free in your country. They would have been quarantined and/or sent back to Haiti. Also, they had to have been prior approved as essential travel.

So either scenario plays out that they could not have been a threat to your country's health. Sorry FGA, this is still a hard pill to swallow.

3/8/21 @ 4:27 PM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10

They came into canada by plane from haiti.Never were tested.and 3 planes with a lot of positive cases.Was on our national news.

3/7/21 @ 12:24 PM
toughontrout
User since 12/21/20

I really have a tough time with that one! . Let me get this straight, you are stating that your Canadian News has reported that they have knowingly allowed people to cross the border, who at the time of crossing, tested positive ? Is that, in fact, what you are stating?

3/7/21 @ 10:37 AM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10

Its on our news

3/6/21 @ 3:10 PM
toughontrout
User since 12/21/20

Fishguidealso, how do you know, for certain, that Canada's letting people in your country who are known to have the virus? Doesn't compute in my pea-brain .

2/10/21 @ 8:02 AM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10

With the snail pace roll out of our vaccinations and expectations of maybe getting our shots in September will keep border closed.Government doesnt seem to concerened about the tourist industry here in Canada,only keeping the big stores open and shutting down the small businesses.Pretty sad.I can see the writing on the wall as to how 2021 season is going to go.I was hoping that maybe if anybody coming up that got vaccinated in states and a negative test and prove of a itinerary could come up but that's not the case either.To me that would seem just fine.Canada has been allowing thousands of people to enter the country with known covid cases. So all this makes me wonder what is really going on.

2/9/21 @ 1:32 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Anybody that now books a trip without having the border ban lifted is a total fool and deserves losing 

2/9/21 @ 1:03 PM
toughontrout
User since 12/21/20

wini, here's my experience with that. You Lose! Tell you why, unless you have it in writing that your money will be refunded or turned over, it's there choice. Now, you cand fight it in court, but you would have to get 2 lawyers to work together on your case, one American lawyer & one Canadian lawyer, and in the end, you lose! because even if you win the case, with lawyer fees involved, you lose. You may be able to get a refund through your Credit Cared Co. of you paid that way. Otherwise...........

7/8/20 @ 7:25 AM
Deadslewmark
User since 1/17/20

I wondering what the legal status’s of deposits are in Canada. What are the holders of our deposits able to do with our money? I wasn’t looking for a refund at first but Since I was unable to apply my deposit to next year. I now want it back so I can use it towards a more customer friendly operation. As Meatloaf says” I want my money back”!

7/7/20 @ 1:49 PM
Shad
User since 8/27/01

Well said OLC, I shall follow suit, just heard Toronto requiring masks, but yes amf!!

7/7/20 @ 7:58 AM
One-last-cast
User since 7/3/20

Well said Chad, on a few points. The presumption is, that as camp owners, all we do is "fish all summer, and vacation all winter". I think over all the years, if I got paid minimum wage for all the hours, that would have made me rich :-) But no complaints, "rich" comes in different forms, and some days I would have sold very cheap, but if given the choice, I would do it all over again!

As I said before, I'm not much of a "social media" guy, but it's been good to connect with you and the others.  With that, I think I've said about all that can on this subject without being repetitive or boring, so...Good Luck!...Don't get between a Sow and her Cub :-)!

One-Last-Cast, signing off.  

7/7/20 @ 7:40 AM
One-last-cast
User since 7/3/20

EsoxChuck...Understandably frustrating, no doubt. Just don't judge the 999 for the decision of the 1. Don't let it dampen your future trips and from the feeling I get from your posts, it won't! Way too many great memories made to let 1 dampen them!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 58 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE