SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Pipestone Lake

12/11/22 @ 10:01 PM
INITIAL POST
C-Hise
User since 3/22/09

Has anyone had much luck musky fishing Pipestone lake? Thinking about a musky trip there, staying at Cedar Island Lodge.  Looking for size and action. Sounds like it’s a deep clear lake which I never have much luck with.  But I hear it has potential for world record size fish.  Just curious if anyone’s been there and fished it.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
1/23/23 @ 11:47 PM
BUD E LEE
BUD E LEE
User since 5/19/10

Portage on Pipestone. There are some very big fish in the upper waters.

Pipestone Lake photo by BUD E LEE
1/23/23 @ 2:58 PM
C-Hise
User since 3/22/09

Thanks Walt for the info.  Will post if I decide to go there.

12/29/22 @ 9:36 AM
walt501
User since 12/28/22

Yes, there is still a mechanical portage between Clearwater going into Pipestone as well as a mechanical portage from Clearwater going into Lake Despair / Jackfish.  I haven't been there for three years due to Covid but the cost to use either portage used to be $25 Canadian.  I'm sure the cost has gone up since then. 

12/28/22 @ 5:55 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Walt,do they still have that boat lift between the two lakes?I was there years ago and used it.

12/28/22 @ 3:51 AM
walt501
User since 12/28/22

I've been fishing Pipestone since 1960.  Yeah, I was a kid with my Dad and we have a place on Clearwater.  Personally, I think your best chance at a Musky would be on Clearwater.  If you work Clearwater for five days and have some experience you will catch a Musky.   Pipestone can be a bit daunting because there is so much water - about 25 miles worth from end to end including going into Schistose lake off the far end of Pipestone, versus Clearwater's eight miles. 

I've had my best success on the Clearwater / Pipestone chain using neutral and natural color baits.  Brightly colored lures haven't produced as well for me.  If you do go to Pipestone, try to limit your fishing to a few specific areas.  I'd start with the Northwest Bay of Pipestone.  It is shallower and there are more island clusters here to focus on.   Alternatively, the first three miles after you cross into Pipestone from Clearwater before the lake opens up should produce some fish.    

Musky season opens the third Saturday in June, so the weather by then should be pretty nice.  If you go, send us photos of your fish!

12/13/22 @ 4:17 PM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05

Never been there but Doug Wegner posted videos of fishing there.  should give you a good idea.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE