SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Lac Seul (Ear Falls area)

4/7/16 @ 2:35 PM
INITIAL POST
nick_atnite
User since 1/10/10
Looking for other fishermen with experience on Northern Lac Seul - Ear falls area. We've been staying at the Golden Eagle Resort on the tip of the lake the last couple years and are just starting to learn the water. Walleye don't seem to be much of a challenge to catch, but was wondering if anyone had any tips for weed bed locations so we could chase after some big pike. Love the lodge where we've been staying, great people and great service. Just hoping to speed up the learning curve bit by pooling some information together. We usually go about mid-August so the fish are long past their spawning patterns and hangouts.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
10/4/18 @ 3:08 PM
SeabeeVet
User since 11/29/17
Heading up there on Sunday any reports or tips?  Never been there before. Targeting Musky & Walleye 
8/20/18 @ 11:54 AM
fishingMN4eyes
fishingMN4eyes
User since 7/27/17

Monday: Got into camp around 3:30pm, went out for a quick couple hours of fishing on a reef close to camp, and almost got blown off the lake. Still managed to bring in a couple of unders that first night though.

Tuesday: Ran down to the Steamboat area for our first full day of fishing, not very windy and pretty sunny if I remember correctly. Struggled on some spots we fished previous years, picked up a few fish but nothing consistent. Managed a few shorelunch fish just in time for lunch. Found a nice spot with a 24' top surrounded by 35-40'. Fished that right before lunch and stayed there all afternoon picking up quite a few slot fish.

Wednesday: Made the run down to McKenzie. Again we had very little wind and it was a very bright, sunny day. Struggled to catch fish in some good spots from previous years. The morning was VERY slow for our boat. Met up with the other boat in our group and caught fish around the edges of a rock pile/island and picked up a few fish after lunch. Decided to start heading back toward camp and hit a few spots on the way back to camp. Found a 3' top just as we were coming out of Shanty Narrows and ended up fishing that the rest of the day. Picked up some fish as high as 6-8' right around the top and then in the the deep 20s drifting onto or off of the structure.

Thursday: Was forecasted to be a very sunny and hot day. Had a very manageable breeze that ended up blowing some smoke from the fires around and it turned out to be a really hazy day. Started out at the same spot we ended on Wednesday and picked up right where we left off. Even got into some perch on that spot. Not jumbos by any stretch but big enough that we felt like bringing a handful home. From there we moved down to McKenzie again found a new rock pile/island that we had never fished before. Picked up fish all around the island in 15-20' and basically fished that the rest of the afternoon. This was our best day of fishing IMO.

Friday: Ran to Mckenzie again. Started off with a slight breeze and we hit a reef right inside McKenzie and picked up the last under and over we needed for limits right away on that first spot we stopped. From that point on the wind all but died and the sun as beating down on us pretty hard so the rest of the morning was slow. Fished the same rock pile we ended the day on Thursday, we picked up some fish but it wasn't as crazy as the day before. Did pick up a nice 23" just hanging my line in the water while I was trying to eat my sandwich for lunch Then we found a spot that topped out at about 19' surrounded by 25-30'. That spot was very productive to end our trip after what ended up being a slow morning.

Overall not our best numbers trip but the quality fish we caught was good as usual. We caught tons of fish in the 18-22" range, it got to the point of "just another slot fish" in our boat. The other boat in our group had a 24.5" and we had the lunchtime 23" in our boat, those were the big walleyes for the week. Orange jigs seemed to be the ticket, although when fishing was really good the color didn't seem to matter. We fished minnows and crawlers, I'd say minnows were probably slightly better but there were times it didn't matter. My brother fished almost primarily bottom bouncers and most of time caught just as many fish as we did on jigs. I tried jigging raps a couple times and picked up a few fish on that as well. I'd say the most productive depth was 18-22' but it really depended on the spot. We did pick up some fish shallow as well but those deeper tops we found were definitely the most productive while we were there. Water was down 3'. There was a big fire going on in Steamboat and another smaller fire down in McKenzie so there was lots of smoke lurking around.

8/8/18 @ 6:51 PM
Tank 71
User since 4/5/05

I was up in the pine point area at the end of june.  From talking to everyone that fished the entire lake seems to be putting out a good number of slot fish as well as a lot  fish over the slot.  We did very well on crawler and leech harnesses.  Let us know how you did.

8/8/18 @ 3:18 PM
fishingMN4eyes
fishingMN4eyes
User since 7/27/17

I'll try to post a report after we get back on the 18th.

8/8/18 @ 2:42 PM
Master P
User since 2/2/08

Leave the end of this month. Would appreciate a report before then. 

8/7/18 @ 12:16 PM
fishingMN4eyes
fishingMN4eyes
User since 7/27/17

Give this thread another try this year. Leaving on Monday. Any reports out of this area?

8/25/17 @ 12:47 PM
fishingMN4eyes
fishingMN4eyes
User since 7/27/17

One more bump before we leave next week.

8/21/17 @ 9:13 AM
fishingMN4eyes
fishingMN4eyes
User since 7/27/17

Heading up in a week. Any updates from this area?

7/27/17 @ 2:18 PM
fishingMN4eyes
fishingMN4eyes
User since 7/27/17
We've been going to this area for the last handful of years. Just booked our trip for the last week of August, can't wait!!
7/23/17 @ 9:56 PM
live2fishWI
User since 12/16/02

Can anyone recommend a good fishing guide for this area? Will be fishing it for a few days on August.  

8/2/16 @ 2:28 PM
nick_atnite
User since 1/10/10

Finally heading up next week Friday.  Looking forward to trying some of the above tactics.  Had some trouble finding a local store for Bondy Baits but did find a small shop near by.  This will be a different trip as I plan on trying the jigging for Pike method in deep water with some determination.  Hope it goes well.

Any recent reports for the norther Lac Seul area??

4/19/16 @ 12:48 PM
nick_atnite
User since 1/10/10
Last couple trips we've caught some monster Perch while jigging for Walleye. Has anyone ever tried to target these or are they rare to catch? Also, I know there is Musky further down the lake, was wondering if anyone knew about how far north in the Lac Seul system they populate? Tight lines!
4/14/16 @ 3:33 PM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10
If your looking to speed up the learning curve hire a good guide that knows how to catch all the species in the lake.learning curve over.then you have spots to go to and try to find some more on your own.
4/14/16 @ 10:41 AM
nick_atnite
User since 1/10/10
I wish there was a good map of the lake, but so far the best I can find is actually on my chip in my boat. Since the lake is a damned system and the depth can change dramatically from one week to the next I'm still real cautious when boating around. I'll try the suggestions for the pike locations when I get there this summer. Does anybody have any regular success fishing for walleye with anything besides a jig and a minnow? I don't mind jigging once in a while, but it can get tiresome after awhile and it's fun to cast. Be interesting to see if anyone else is fishing up here can chime in Smile
4/11/16 @ 6:24 PM
BornToFish1
User since 3/5/13
I have driven past Lac Seul many times, but have never been on its water. Thus, I cannot give you any particular spots to try. I will offer two suggestions. The first suggestion you can do now. That is, obtain a depth map of the general area of the lake that you will be fishing. Then, sit down and look for pieces of structure that top out around 10-20 feet or so. Rock humps surrounded by "deep" (e.g. 30-50 fow) water are best. Even better, clusters of such rock humps that are somewhat near one another can be magical. The other suggestion is to watch where boats are targeting walleyes during "prime time". Especially watch for boats that are out in the middle of nowhere - far from shore. You will likely have found the goldmine if these places happen to be the same places that you identify in the first suggestion. Then, try drifting/casting these rock humps during different parts of the day to see if you can establish a pattern. Don't overlook the middle of the day. Use your gps or marker buoys to drift different tracks over the rock humps and reefs that you want to fish. The northern pike spend much of their time cruising just above the thermocline as this is in the sweet spot of their comfort zone (i.e. temperature and dissolved oxygen level). You can sort of box them in by knowing the depth of the top of the thermocline. The thermocline will likely be around 20-24 feet in the middle of August. As I mentioned in an earlier post, many of my fish come out of about twenty fow on the upwind side of the rock hump - this is where the thermocline intersects the rock hump. One thing to watch for when walleye fishing is situations where you are getting good walleye action and then the bite abruptly evaporates. Set down the walleye rod and pick up your musky/pike rod. I encourage you to try this approach for northern pike during summer. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Good fishing and tight lines!!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE