MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

First time ice fishing LOTW

11/13/19 @ 1:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

Well, I’ve never gone ice fishing. Believe it or not lol...buddy set up a trip to the south shore of LOTW through his family’s owned resort. 

I have all the required extras ...what I’m wondering is what type of colors/jigs/spoons-terminal tackle would be recommended for jigging. Going end of January. Any tactics or advice would be greatly appreciated. I think we are mostly fishing walleye/perch and or pike. I just want to have a little extra info to help catch a few (more than him at least lol). Thanks for any info/advice

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
11/25/19 @ 12:53 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

My goto LOW colors in this order are:

Gold

Red Glow

Pink

11/14/19 @ 10:58 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

My first time up there the local bait shop said that gold out produces any other color due to the murkiness of the water around Baudette, and they were correct. I don’t know if this applies to the rest of the LOTW once you get away from the Rainy River.    CARPIO 

11/14/19 @ 10:50 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

Thank you for the info. It is greatly appreciated 

11/14/19 @ 10:17 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I was up there and stayed in a sleeper shack off of the south shore a few years ago. Keep your jigs on the small side. I caught walleye and sauger on jigs as small as 1/32 oz. but mostly used 1/16 to 1/8 oz. 

Some of the guys in our group got a tip to get a few of JR's Tackle Stop Sign Jigs. We all caught plenty of fish but they pretty much out-fished all of us with those lures. You can order them on-line or most gas stations in the area close to the lake that sell tackle will have them. I also did pretty well on a 1/16 oz glow-red Northland Tackle Forage Minnow. Good luck. 

Stop Sign Jig

Forgot to add. I used braid on my jig rod with a 6lb flurocarbon leader. Also, we were there in early January. The main walleye/sauger bite was from around 10 am to 2 pm. We caught a few fish an hour or so earlier and later but that 4 hour window was prime time. If you are able to stay out on the ice until dark, the eel pout feeding window was around that time. We fished them the same way as the walleye.

11/14/19 @ 10:00 AM
fishguidealso
User since 2/5/10

Basically all you will need is some 1/8 oz jigs and color won't make much of a difference although I always have bring some some diff ones along.i would suggest looking for some vibrato lures and give them a try also.They are a rip up type lure and make some noise and can always drop a verticle lindy rig set up and keep weight 3-4 ft above live bait on a hook.slip bobber work great to.If your in a warm shack it's the most relaxing form of fishing.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE