Lake-Link Home

Entry to Canada.

10/6/18 @ 1:13 PM
User since 8/12/03

Can you get into the country with a DWI from 20 years ago.

5/22/19 @ 11:26 AM
User since 3/27/06

When I renewed my passport a few years ago I opted to also get the passport card that I always carry in my wallet. Great for driving both ways across the Canadian border and for ID purposes.

5/22/19 @ 11:16 AM
User since 9/27/01


I was in Canada for the last week. After reading the CBP website, it looks like you can use an enhanced drivers license in lieu of a passport. This is not the case. You need a passport or birth certificate to enter Canada. The border patrol agent explained to me that there is a difference between a State and Federal Enhanced Drivers License. Luckily, since this is a common mistake with the new State EDL's, he let me through with a warning and made a note in my data file that I had received my warning. He was pretty cool about it. The website is very unclear about this and I even explained to him that I needed to produce my birth certificate to get my WI State EDL.

Coming home, the border patrol agent again questioned why I didn't have my passport. We went through the same conversation. He was able to look up my expired passport in their system to verify my WI EDL. Since that confirmed that I'm a US Citizen, he informed me that he couldn't deny me entrance into the US. So I got that going for me.

So, my experiment with my Enhance Driver's License could have gone very wrong but the agents at the Grand Portage crossing were understanding and cooperative. But I won't make the same mistake twice. Just have a valid passport. Done.

2/21/19 @ 11:47 AM
User since 9/27/01

I did a little digging and it does appear that an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) will be accepted at the border both ways in lieu of a passport.  That applies to travel by land or water.  A passport is still required for air travel back and forth.

1/8/19 @ 10:31 PM
User since 4/8/13

Bugle Trout,

If you haven't already gotten the answer you are looking for, I suggest going directly to the source Department of Homeland Security, They would have the official information you can count on rather than theory and conjecture.

As for entering Canada,, is the Canadian website to search.

 Enjoy your trip!

1/3/19 @ 11:24 PM
User since 6/16/03

Peanut02.  Were you driving and was it your vehicle crossing the border? I have had no problems as a passenger,  but wonder if it could be different if it was your vehicle and a past record?

1/3/19 @ 1:04 PM
User since 9/27/01

Kinda off subject but does anyone know if Border Patrol will be accepting the new drivers licenses that are compliant to the Federal Real ID Act in lieu of a passport? I attached a sample from the DMV website. Notice the star in the upper right hand corner. That will be required to fly in the near future and the site mentions it being like a passport.

11/13/18 @ 6:40 AM
User since 1/17/10

I would say you should have no problem. My first trip, my DUI was 9 1/2 years old. I had 0 issues. I have gone 4 times since then and have had 0 issues. Good luck to you on your trip. 

11/12/18 @ 9:37 PM
User since 3/23/05

2 years ago went with guy that had 11 year old DUI, no questions,  no issues at the border crossing.  He did NOT apply for any rehabilitation.   This past year he went on 2 fishing trips to Canada with us, same thing no problems. 

Think the rehabilitation is for under 10 years. 

11/12/18 @ 6:14 PM
User since 6/24/01

We went a few years ago with 2 guys that had 10 year old OMVI tickets they did not have  problem over 10 years and nothing else on the radar you wont have a thing to worry about.

11/12/18 @ 4:29 PM
User since 5/31/10

Even a DWI/DUI charge can cause a hang up since many states will allow you to plea to a lesser charge but the administrative penalties (suspension, education/treatment, etc) are those for a DUI/DWI conviction. It's on your driving record and that is something they can run quickly.

Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.