MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

English River Virgin.

5/5/22 @ 9:19 AM
INITIAL POST
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
PRO MEMBER User since 9/23/01

Been to the Great White North on occasion for Musky particularly Cedar Lake in the late summer early fall. Now I have been invited to fish the English River system (Ignace Area) in the early summer late spring (early June).

Unlike most travelers to Canada that want to catch a walleye every cast and pride themselves in telling everyone of their buddies we caught 146 eyes on the first day of our trip never had to move. This would drive me crazy, I want to get off the beaten path and find my own fish and maybe a bigger fish or two for a quick picture and release.

Barrel, and Victoria Lakes are on the radar. Barrel for Walleye, Pike and Smallies. Victoria for Lakers and Smallies. 

Any suggestions or information on the forage base, water clarity, structure preference, just looking to have the right equipment along and put some quality fish in the boat.

All input is appreciated even if it is not specific to the English River system, TIA.

Mac

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
6/20/22 @ 6:10 PM
surreel
User since 7/5/10

I just got back on the 18th. I fished Victoria and got to the launch at barrel and the wind was blowing into there hard so we chose to fish a different lake. The last 2 miles into Barrel were really over grown and will scratch your truck up some. Victoria was ok and we did get some nice trout along with most of the pike being in the slot. The trout were in 10 to 30 ft And only down 5-6 feet. We trolled Husky Jerks and Cleo’s both in  Chrome/blue. The loggers are working in the area so you will want keep that in mind when driving back on the 325 road. 

6/20/22 @ 9:21 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff

Thought that I posted a report last week when I got back, my bad. Here is my report from the English River (Ignace area).

I was told that the river was 3-4 ft. high, had no idea because this was my first visit. Was told that they had 24 inches of snow on April 24th. These folks that have these resorts are a hardy bunch. They weather not only the harsh environment, they endure crazy steep energy costs, stupid high food prices and 9 months of winter. Oh and a government that is more than willing to take care of the big cities, and forget the outlying people.

Now back off of my stump. 

Just like any high river system post spawn walleye stacked on the shallow edges of the old river channel adjacent to current breaks. We had 54 to 57 deg. water temps. They were still staged up river, post spawn. Down stream fish were inactive or in a negative mood. We had plenty of 14 to 16 inch eyes with an odd sauger pike and smallie here and there. Active fish were staged 2 ft. deeper that top of river channel to 2 ft. shallower that river break. Minnows, crawlers, leaches and paddle tail plastics all worked.

Beautiful area with a lot to offer, also discovered a lake that had trout and pike in it and fished that body of water for 2 days. Caught our share of both.

Great trip, Mac

5/28/22 @ 7:06 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff

Bgrayomaha thanks for the input. After looking at the map for a few minuets it seems to be like most rivers/reservoirs to pick apart. Were you using shad style baits or minnow baits? 

Not sure what the forage base is for the system, shiners, young of the year game fish, whitefish cisco ?????? I know the go to bait post spawn is minnows.

We also want to try and troll or jig for Lakers in Victoria. I also understand that there are some beautiful Brookie/ Speckled trout at the inlet to Victoria and plan on enticing a few of them to play. Not sure if God can top the beauty of a Brook trout as far as fish are concerned.

Thanks again, less than a week away!

5/23/22 @ 2:16 PM
Bgrayomaha
User since 5/23/22

Been to Barrel Lake several times from 2015 to 2019. Great smallmouth at the mouth where the English river dumps in to Barrel. June 1-20 is a great time for top water. We also caught quite a few at the north end of the Lake before it falls into Press Lake. There is a football field of submerged rocks before you hit the split where the lake turns to two falls to Press Lake. 

Walleye fishing was good as well. We caught 10 Walleye over 20 inches in an afternoon dragging deep divers where the English River dumps in to Barrel. Once we found the spot and how to run the baits, it was amazing.

5/8/22 @ 1:49 PM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff

Guidedfishing, Appreciate the info. Might try the river dumping out of Indian Lake into Barrel. There is a falls on the River on the south end of Franks Lake that might equal what you describe coming out of Barrel. Hermanson and Fummerton Lakes just south of Victoria look intriguing also. 

Looking forward to fishing new water and figuring out. Planning on bringing up a bag of 4-6" swim baits and plenty of jigs. I figure that by the first full week of June the bite will be post spawn with water temp dictating the attitude and location of all our targeted fish.

Thanks for the reply.

5/5/22 @ 11:27 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Mac,  well most of everything in that area is off the beaten path so no worries there.  In years past I have fished the English river from Press lake, past the boat landing (I use that term loosely)  where the bridge has long since collapsed into the river past the rapids there and up to below the twin falls coming out of Barrel lake.  

Moderately stained water, some of the best fishing were in the pools below those falls coming out of Barrel.  You can't access it from Barrel coming from that direction.  Or its a long drive towards Press lake camp but you go past the road to camp to the boat landing on the English.  Rapids above the boat landing can be navigated by boat if the water is high enough and your up for that level of excitement.

We did well on Large pike with frozen smelt.  Standard Jig and minnow will get you all the walleyes in the 15 - 19in range you care to eat.   There are some nicer fish but that is pretty much standard. 

Any medium light, to medium walleye rod will handle just about anything you will tackle.  If I remember right the Lakers in Victoria don't run very big.   Its been a while since in that area.  Never fished Barrel or Victoria to be honest.

Like anywhere the English will take your lower unit if your not careful, everything will be fairly shallow, and on the river you can catch walleye's in 2ft of water often enough behind boulders, put typically any small eddies or pools will hold fish.

Good luck

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE