SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Cell Phone

9/24/23 @ 9:51 AM
INITIAL POST
thurston
User since 12/13/09

Everyone this is probably a dumb question but here goes anyway. I know that a cell phone is useless for communication with the lack of towers in Canada but will they work for Navionics and GPS. We have a trip planned for next year and my buddie says a depth finder/locator is a must for the lake we will be fishing on. If not any suggestions for an inexpensive alternative.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
10/2/23 @ 5:42 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
FYI: Performance of Navionics after Updating and Downloading is so so. Sometimes it doesn’t keep up to you. I’m disappointed with Navionics, but others may get better performance where they’re located though. 
10/2/23 @ 9:08 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06
Wi-Fi is now coming to many camps. Our remodeled cabin about 60 miles northwest of Red Lake now even includes a large screen television. Everyone in my group is communicating with loved ones every time we come in.. We used to have to rely on unreliable satellite phone for any communications
10/1/23 @ 5:28 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06
Yes, you phone doesn't need Internet connection to use mapping hardware.  That being said, they are installing more towers every year and I had coverage, this spring my, from pigeon river border crossing to Ignace and several miles north on 599...ATT...
9/28/23 @ 11:38 AM
Mendota Jim
User since 7/1/02
Vexilar makes a Sonarphone that uses your smartphone for the display, integrates Navionics with a depthfinder and apparently allows you to custom map.  I have one that I never used and would be willing to offer for obo.  It requires a 12v battery and for portable use, attach to small board and C-clamp to transom?
Cell Phone photo by Mendota Jim
9/26/23 @ 7:56 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01
Crazy thing for me on Wabaskang lake I get better service than many places in Wisconsin.
9/25/23 @ 3:09 PM
Musky Ben
User since 3/13/02
Absolutely!!!  I wasn't ready to make the upgrade some years ago from my perfectly working Lowrance unit, but I also knew that mapping on my old unit was not happening.  This trip was top Lac Suel and all you need to do before you leave is to download the area you're going to be in and your phone's GPS does the rest.  So I downloaded Navionics to my phone and used it in conjunction with my depthfinder and once I laid a trail that I felt comfortable with, I felt good that I would be safe and if I was in areas that needed care, I slowed down and worked through that area using that sonar moreso than the mapping. 

The suggestion of a smaller Helix or other unit for sonar, would be useful and you can find portable transducer mounts or even on not moving a lot an icefishing sonar would be a plus!!!  

Musky Ben
9/25/23 @ 7:48 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
See if you can find a used Helix unit with GPS, then basically use it like you would while ice fishing with a small 12v battery. Even if not using the transducer, the head will still work. You could also figure out a temporary mount for the transducer and have the best of both worlds. 
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE