SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Silver Dollar Area Ontario

5/21/04 @ 11:46 AM
INITIAL POST
JEP
User since 10/19/01
Just interested to see if anyone fishes this area of Ontario. My group will be making it's 12th trip to the area later this summer. We stay at Moose Creek Camp about 8 miles north of Silver Dollar. We fish a number of different lakes in this area. Some of our favorites are Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, Young and Watcomb. I would enjoy comparing ideas and stories with fisherman who have spent time in this area. JEP

Displaying 80 to 89 of 1,278 posts
6/1/22 @ 9:01 AM
dodger31
User since 5/17/17

14ft.  Sowden is a sand landing with a moderate rough road heading in.  There can be washouts from beaver dams too.  You definitely need 4WD to launch.  There is a campground right at the landing.  Great smallie fishing, great weedbeds for big northerns.  Not great numbers for walleyes but a chance at a trophy!  My Father in law broke off a 10 + pounder behind the motor a few years ago.  Biggest I've seen in Canada.

6/1/22 @ 8:51 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Arod,  Judy said as far as she knew it was not fixed yet maybe by later this summer.

5/31/22 @ 3:45 PM
Arod
User since 2/26/13

Does anyone have any information on the landing to Minchin Lake. The landing was just off of 599 about 90 miles north of Silver Dollar. Before covid we heard rumors that they were going to improve 599 because of added traffic from the gold mine north of this point. Rumor then was that the landing would be closed. The landing was not very good and had to park on 599. It certainly was a fun lake to fish. Haven't fished it in four or five years.

5/31/22 @ 2:39 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Hi Teddy,

Vern's Minnows in Ignace usually has hard copies for many of the local lakes.  They are okay but certainly the detail is less than stellar. 

Another option is the Canadian Lake mapping tool which is helpful. 

https://www.lioapplications.lrc.gov.on.ca/fishonline/Index.html?viewer=FishONLine.FishONLine&locale=en-CA

https://www.lioapplications.lrc.gov.on.ca/fishonline/Index.html?viewer=FishONLine.FishONLine&locale=en-CA

There are some atlas companies that sell lake maps and some of the lakes you listed are actually on the lake master chip for Ontario.

My experience is that it's difficult to find anything thing with a high degree of accuracy from a depth perspective on those lakes.  So a rough map that you fill in the detail is about as good as you will get.  Even the Lake Master lakes unless they are HD are just rough guides.  I find them beneficial for Navigation on the bigger lakes but I would not trust depth on any of them only in the most general sense.

Good luck

5/31/22 @ 1:15 PM
Teddy from Wisconsin
User since 5/31/22

Hi. First time post. We fish the silver dollar area and are trying to find lake maps for the area? Anyone have any luck with that? Lake of Bays, Penassi, Watcomb, etc. Any help would be appreciated. 

5/31/22 @ 7:18 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Has anyone been down the 325 road, this is the dirt road that turn off to the west just above/north Ignace and heads back to Agimac River camp, then on to Kukukus, Arethusa, Flatrock etc.   Interested in what high water may of done, there is several spots that even in moderate rain can get dicy.   Any update is appreciated.

5/31/22 @ 5:59 AM
Canada Bound
User since 2/19/10

Just got back from a long weekend at the cabin. Sturgeon Lake has water levels I would say at 3 feet above normal. It actually makes things quite dangerous unless you have an excellent memory some of the rocks that were always above water for the last 20 years are now a foot or so below and I actually found a couple of them. Nothing serious but gives a person a scare. I did not get to fish a lot because I had to spend time getting the cabin opened up. I did have good walleye fishing and on sturgeon but pretty much all the walleyes fighting were above 20 inches. One afternoon I went to flying loon to catch some eaters and had good fishing there as well  water in Flying Loon is up 4 feet from what it normally is. The landing there or lack there of is something to see basically docking the boat in the road having to back all the way down. Thelittle bit I tried for lake trout was rather slow we only picked up one nice one.

5/26/22 @ 6:22 PM
14ftdown
14ftdown
User since 3/3/04

Those are the lakes we fish also. But have never fished sowden. How is the landing there?

I will definitely send a report but it probably wont be till the Monday after we get back. 

5/26/22 @ 12:25 PM
dodger31
User since 5/17/17

Good luck 14 ft!  We will be there the following week.  We usually fish Young, LOB, Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, etc.  If you could post a report for your week that would be awesome!  Missed out the last 2 years so I'm hoping the fish are hungry!

5/25/22 @ 12:14 PM
14ftdown
14ftdown
User since 3/3/04

Headed to Young Lake Lodge June 3rd. Hopefully crossing the border about 5 pm. Staying over night in Thunder Bay and should be fishing by 2 pm Saturday. The fish should be hungry.

Silver Dollar Area Ontario photo by 14ftdown
Displaying 80 to 89 of 1,278 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE