Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Silver Dollar Area Ontario

5/21/04 @ 10:46 AM
ORIGINAL POST
JEP
USER SINCE 10/19/01
Just interested to see if anyone fishes this area of Ontario. My group will be making it's 12th trip to the area later this summer. We stay at Moose Creek Camp about 8 miles north of Silver Dollar. We fish a number of different lakes in this area. Some of our favorites are Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, Young and Watcomb. I would enjoy comparing ideas and stories with fisherman who have spent time in this area. JEP

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,224 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/15/22 @ 8:41 PM
lunkbox
lunkbox
USER SINCE 7/24/01

NWWisco, the last place I stayed in Canada was Lumberjack, which was 10 years ago. At that time it was a good place to stay, no complaints. We used it as a jumping off point, so no experience on Sturgeon.  But if you like River fishing we did well on the English river between Barrel and press lake and we would go that last week in May. 

10/11/22 @ 7:45 AM
Guidedfishing
USER SINCE 8/2/01

NWWisco,  Ok, Sturgeon is a different animal in comparison to the out lakes like Wintering, LOB, Watcomb, Young etc in that area.  It is probably going to be 6-10 degrees colder than the out lakes at that time of the year.  The lake trout will probably be spread all over the place, and or near the surface just depends on temps.  Walleye fishing will probably not be very friendly on Sturgeon, if you can get into Jackpot or way back into Cobb bay / Mosquito bay or further up were the river and creeks come in you might have a fighting chance on Walleye.  The lake is big, the south end is a lot more open.  Watch the weather it get can get big and rough in a hurry.  I typically fish the north end, its been a lot of year since I have spent anytime on the south end below the Sturgeon Narrows.  There is a lot of water out there so hopefully your camp can steer you in the right direction.

What I am trying to say it is not a gentle lake for a new comer both from a fishing and with potential for some pretty rough water.   It can also be very rewarding with plentiful lake trout, large pike, and some pretty nice walleye when you find them.  Good luck.

10/6/22 @ 10:15 AM
NorthwestWisco231
USER SINCE 3/10/21

Guidedfishing, I have not fished stuergon in the past. Only lob and watcomb. I look forward to trying a new lake. Hopefully the fishing is comparable. This will be my wife’s first trip and she opted for a cabin instead of camping on an island. 

10/6/22 @ 6:45 AM
Guidedfishing
USER SINCE 8/2/01

NWwisco,  well I have never heard anything bad about Lumberjack,  I have not personally stayed there.   Being on the south end it does provide easy jump off points to the out lakes in that area.   Have you fished Sturgeon before?  

10/5/22 @ 2:42 PM
NorthwestWisco231
USER SINCE 3/10/21

Does anyone have any experience with Lumberjack Lodge on Sturgeon Lake? Good or bad? Going last week in May for one week. Have fished lake of bays and watcomb in the past. This will be our first trip staying at a resort. 

10/2/22 @ 10:05 AM
toughontrout
USER SINCE 12/21/20

I would never let Trudeau's influence interfere with my enjoyment of Canada's people, waters & recreation.

9/30/22 @ 5:57 AM
Lunkerhunt85
USER SINCE 5/10/14

People should avoid canada until  that thug trudeau is gone. 

9/29/22 @ 8:25 AM
Guidedfishing
USER SINCE 8/2/01

You can camp on Lake of Bays, you will have to see what is paper company land and what is not.  You used to be able to get paper company camping permits at the Silver Dollar but that was before the current owners so some research is probably required on what is company land and what is crown land.  Fishing is always good, causeway is always a pita.  good luck.

9/27/22 @ 9:52 AM
Skoda_80
USER SINCE 9/27/22

Now that the vaccine requirement is over I want to head back to the Silver Dollar area. It has been years since I have been up there. How is the fishing at Lake of Bays? I was also thinking about camping on an island there. Is that legal?

8/27/22 @ 10:14 AM
Shorecrest2589
USER SINCE 8/22/22

Guys, thanks for the feedback.  I will check in with Steve when we get up there.  Might need to consider other options till we can commit to a full week at a lodge on that body of water.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,224 POSTS
Advertise here
Okuma's new Ceymar HD spinning reels are lightweight and feature-packed with a corrosion-resistant frame, side plate and rotor. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Ceymar HD Spinning Reel
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.