SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Silver Dollar Area Ontario

5/21/04 @ 11:46 AM
INITIAL POST
JEP
User since 10/19/01
Just interested to see if anyone fishes this area of Ontario. My group will be making it's 12th trip to the area later this summer. We stay at Moose Creek Camp about 8 miles north of Silver Dollar. We fish a number of different lakes in this area. Some of our favorites are Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, Young and Watcomb. I would enjoy comparing ideas and stories with fisherman who have spent time in this area. JEP

Displaying 1 to 15 of 1,278 posts
3/24/24 @ 10:55 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Fishngod,  I wish I could throw you a bone,  I drive past it every year as I had up to the north end of Sturgeon.  As close as I have come is fishing the head waters where the Sturgeon river dumps out of Sturgeon Lake over the falls and into the river that feeds the lakes.  That is a strange feeling sitting on top seeing the water falling away.  Needless to say I kept the motor running and kept a little distance as I crossed  the opening.   No reason to believe you won't have great fishing.  Looking forward to your report.   I will be up three times this year for a total of 4 weeks + if all goes well.  Later in August for Sturgeon this year.

Good luck!
3/21/24 @ 5:04 PM
fishngod
User since 3/14/07
Anybody ever stay at or fish the Sturgeon River area? I have a trip planned in August and don't know much about the lakes there. Sturgeon River Outfitters to be specific. I love that area around Savant Lake. Any tips would be appreciated. 
2/27/24 @ 8:32 AM
selbert
User since 4/21/16
We used to stay at Sturgeon Lake Lodge.  Just to the west of the lodge there is a small flowage called Trout Creek!!  We would catch them up in the creek.  But that was quite a while ago.
2/22/24 @ 1:27 PM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08
See this link it for Ontario lakes.  You can search by fish type.  There are 3 small lakes a few miles south of silver dollar that have brook trout and splake.

https://www.lioapplications.lrc.gov.on.ca/fishonline/Index.html?viewer=FishONLine.FishONLine&locale=en-CA 
2/21/24 @ 4:37 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
BugleTrout,  The only ones I am familiar with that have Brook Trout are Snowstorm, Little Snowstorm, and Reguly which are right off the 312 road just past Indian lake a few miles.  Little Snowstorm is actually stocked with Brooky's.

I am sure there are others but those are the only ones I am aware of.
2/21/24 @ 11:28 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Does anyone do any brook trout fishing in the Silver Dollar area? I haven't researched the regs but found a few sites that offer advice on locations. The guys I come up there with are pretty hardcore walleye anglers but I
would love to mix it up a bit if there's opportunity in the area. 
2/13/24 @ 8:33 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Landiggity, you just come out of a coma?  Good fishing either way.

;  )
2/12/24 @ 7:11 PM
Landiggity
User since 2/12/24
BugleTrout, 
We fished this lake last year and man was the walleyes on fire. we were castign weed beds and still managing to pull walleyes out of it. nothing to big but man it was fish after fish.
2/12/24 @ 7:07 PM
Landiggity
User since 2/12/24
Yes!! JEP 
We get group to go up there every year and watcomb and young are good lakes but wintering wasnt the best for us. 23 years later maybe a reply..
10/22/23 @ 8:24 PM
WWYH
User since 5/24/16
Anyone fish Indian Lake north of Ignace this past year? ​
9/8/23 @ 11:03 AM
JimNabbefeld
User since 9/8/23
I just came home from Austin’s Wilderness Lodge, I stayed the first week of September. I was on Lake Pashkagogan. I traveled by myself from Wisconsin, fished for 4 days and caught 88 walleye, and 172 northern. Almost all were very great sized fish. I have been here many times before, and this was the best fishing has been for me. Austin’s is under new ownership and I couldn’t ask for better. The owners treat everyone so well, and are always willing to help. From making the reservation to the time I left everything was amazing. Really great people! I will for sure be returning next year. 
8/28/23 @ 9:10 AM
teach2hunt
User since 11/17/10
Recently got back from Lake Pashkagogan and stayed at Austin's Wilderness Lodge (about 1:45 north of Silver Dollar).  The lodge is incredible, the owners used to be in a band and now have an entire karaoke setup in the main lodge for customers...that was a late night :)  The fishing is incredible, live bait not necessary!  No Lake Trout though.  I highly recommend staying there.  Check them out on Facebook.  The 14 hour drive from the Fox Valley was definitely worth it.  
8/22/23 @ 12:26 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Selbert, sounds like you are on the right track.  I like jigging them with a large one ounce jig with a white fluke body, or I put a 3/4 to 1 ounce bullet weight inside a white tube jig rigged with a treble hook.  Both are effective.  If they are finicky a large jig with a big minnow or dead cisco will sometimes get them going.  Mostly though I like to troll with the down riggers as its kind of a nice way to just chill.  Below 30ft I am pulling spoons, whites with greens or blues.  Wonder bread color is always a consistent producer.  If it's colder water you can pull crank baits above 30 feet like husky jerks, bandits, reef runners.  The big blade baits will work also blue/white or green/white.   The key for Lakers is always something white or with white in it.   I prefer spoons that have the painted white back as opposed to the silver but it depends on the day.   The more sun and calm weather the better for lake trout fishing.  some days when you get on a hot lake trout bite jigging it can be pretty fast action.  This year the trout fishing for me was mediocre at best on Sturgeon.  Still catching fish, but surely not racking up any big numbers.   good luck.
8/18/23 @ 7:34 AM
selbert
User since 4/21/16
It's awesome to hear the reports from the area.  Thank you.  I've been taking trips to the area for around 15 years.  We have mostly targeted walleye, bass, and pike.  My group is just getting into the hunt for lake trout.  We've done ok.  With modern electronics we are marking fish in regular spots but it seems we aren't catching them at the rates everyone else is.  So my question is, what baits would y'all recommend?  I've been using the heavy blade baits and heavy jigs with plastic swimbaits.  What should I be using?
8/15/23 @ 7:52 AM
Arod
User since 2/26/13
Hey Guidefishing,
Good to hear you had a good trip. We left camp as you came in. Walleye fishing was good but the lake trout fishing was not very good. We had numerous discussions as to why the trout fishing was down. The weather was outstanding. We had a new twist this year to our trip as we brought our brides for the first time. They loved it! Both became very good at jigging for walleyes, took a blueberry trip, took many pics of the wonderful scenery, enjoyed visits with our hosts and loved sitting on the dock with a cocktail while watching the sunset. In fact they enjoyed it so much that they'll be coming back next season. May have to make two trips!!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 1,278 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE