Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Silver Dollar Area Ontario

5/21/04 @ 11:46 AM
ORIGINAL POST
JEP
USER SINCE 10/19/01
Just interested to see if anyone fishes this area of Ontario. My group will be making it's 12th trip to the area later this summer. We stay at Moose Creek Camp about 8 miles north of Silver Dollar. We fish a number of different lakes in this area. Some of our favorites are Wintering, Sowden, Sturgeon, Young and Watcomb. I would enjoy comparing ideas and stories with fisherman who have spent time in this area. JEP

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,145 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

TODAY @ 1:08 PM
IAFishHawk
IAFishHawk
USER SINCE 8/4/16
Was on the very north end of Sturgeon all last week and it was by far the best fishing we've ever had in September.  We were fishing Walleye pretty much the whole time and we were averaging around 40-50 a day.  Good thing to say was that when it came time to getting some to take home we had a hard time finding under 20's.  Overall the experience was really good as well as the boarder crossing.  We had the appropriate paperwork and ArriveCan and we were through the boarder at Pigeon River in less than 5 minutes.  We did not receive a random test kit, although we were prepared.  Can't wait until next year!

9/21/21 @ 11:47 AM
Canada Bound
USER SINCE 2/19/10

We just got back from spending eight days by our cabin. The fishing this year up there is absolutely amazing it’s been along time since I seen it this  good. Excellent grouse hunting as well by the way. The walleyes are so thick I am even catching them on my downrigger’s when I have them set at 60 feet down.

9/13/21 @ 2:28 PM
Guidedfishing
USER SINCE 8/2/01

Well I meant to post a report earlier but the holiday weekend and getting prepped for other trips got in the way.   Fished Sturgeon lake exclusively from Aug 21 - 28.  Fished primarily for Walleye and Lake Trout.   All our fishing took place North of the Sturgeon Narrows well up into the North East arm, and Horizontal bay.   In many many of years of fishing both the south and north end of Sturgeon this was one of our best years for walleye easily averaging 50-60 quality fish a day, we had a hard time catching anything less than 18in's  and although the trout fishing was good avg 20-30 fish a day, we have seen some better.   We caught walleye as shallow as 12 feet, and as deep as 32ft, almost all our trout came off the down riggers and a few vertical jigging.  We had a couple of tough wind days and running down riggers is just a simple solution when your out in the open.  Most trout came in 55-65 feet of water, and it did not seem to matter the depth overall.  Typically we need to be screaming our lure right across the bottom but not this year.   Water temps at the surface where low 70's to mid to upper 60's when we left.  Fishing was solid every day although we did get beat up a couple days by the wind.  We even picked up about a dozen smallmouth 15-19in even though they were not targeted.   Probably another 15 pike over 30 in's caught either walleye fishing or trolling.  just a lot of pike in that 27-36in range.   

We usually hit out lakes every other day but the low water put a damper on that activity, all in all a very productive week on Sturgeon this year.

8/18/21 @ 4:40 PM
Canada Bound
USER SINCE 2/19/10

No Guidefishing, I am unfamiliar with the whole north end of the lake. I’ve never fished any further north than Cobb Bay.

8/18/21 @ 1:21 PM
Guidedfishing
USER SINCE 8/2/01

Canada Bound, were you primarily fishing up in the Northeast Arm?  or there abouts?

Tnxs

8/18/21 @ 9:41 AM
Canada Bound
USER SINCE 2/19/10

One other thing I forgot to mention pretty much every walleye I had on sturgeon was over 20 inches it was a good problem!??

8/18/21 @ 9:10 AM
Canada Bound
USER SINCE 2/19/10

Also I forgot to mention anyone that likes flying loon you cannot dock there with a truck right now you have to drive in so far to find water it becomes too soft to hold up the weight of the vehicle so you need to launch with an ATV. Someone buried their truck in they’re really bad this past week.

8/18/21 @ 9:07 AM
Schmev
USER SINCE 6/25/21

Thanks Canada Bound!  Looks like it has been pretty warm also.  We are heading to that area this Saturday.   Excited to just get onto the water. 

8/18/21 @ 9:01 AM
Canada Bound
USER SINCE 2/19/10

I just got back from eight days at my cabin. We were the sixth  vehicle to enter Canada when the border opened… we got in with no issues it took around eight minutes per vehicle. the way back home entry was a piece of cake. I had lots of work to do at my cabin because no one was there for a year and a half but I did get some fishing in. The walleye fishing on sturgeon and lake trout fishing on sturgeon were excellent, the water level is  so low it limited my options on fishing some of those smaller lakes I like because several creeks were to shallow to navigate a boat into.

8/13/21 @ 7:47 AM
Guidedfishing
USER SINCE 8/2/01

JCBoys,   well a 14ft alum boat with a 20hp motor is hard to beat for the type of fishing and landings you will encounter.   In many cases that is about as big of a boat you can get in some places.   

I think that is wise to get one of those camps and get a feel for it.  We typically camp on our spring trip and even with our much bigger boats barely fit all the gear in for a weeks worth of camping in comfort.  All the camps you mentioned are on or close to the water.  Silver Dollar is a wide spot in the road on 599, basically a small road size hotel, and cabins etc.  Dinner, bait, and gas.  Sturgeon Lake is big 50+ miles long 5 miles wide in spots.  It can be fished in a 14ft boat, but holy cow have I been out there when a storm comes up, and they will come out of no where.  It can get big and rough.  Just be aware.  Sturgeon can be stingy some days as well, and may require some long rides to get on fish.  The good news is the many close out lakes that typically crank out fish.

I have never stayed at Young Lake, but have launched there more than once, nice clean camp just up the road from Silver dollar, easy access to several lakes if you don't want to beat yourself up and plenty of action.  If the weather is for crap somedays a few hours of fishing and some fun and snacks in the camp goes a long way with the young ones.

Beware, those logging road, many become impassable after a few years of overgrowth unless they are used often.  Remember getting the boat in is one thing, getting it out is an entirely different story.  Give that consideration at the landing if you can really call them that.

No idea how old your boys are, but I started taking my son up when he was 10 roughly 20 years ago.  Keep it enjoyable, fishing in bush can be a heck of a lot of work some days so keep that in mind.  And I am sure you know and have been told, but make sure they have decent rain gear.  You don't want to wreck such a wonderful experience by having a couple of miserable kids, between weather, bugs, etc.  Keep them engaged but don't over do it for them.  I remember the first few years my son was going with I spent a lot more time letting him cast for Pike,  he did not care what as long as there was something pulling back.  He developed into a heck of a walleye & lake trout fisherman.

You will have fun, and build some wonderful memories with the boys.

As a side note.  Having young boys in the boat stuff is going to happen,  rods go overboard, one year I think every set of pliers I had in the boat went in the lake.  Be willing to accept honest mistakes with a smile.

Water levels are extremely low there right now so between that and forest fires its a added dimension.

enjoy

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 1,145 POSTS
Advertise here
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.