MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Canadian Border opening to non essential travel?

10/4/20 @ 9:57 PM
ORIGINAL POST
doorman
doorman
USER SINCE 12/28/06

Resort owners, Canadian residents or people in the know. When will the boarder open? 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 121 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

TODAY @ 7:49 PM
toughontrout
USER SINCE 12/21/20

Just got off the phone with my Canadian friend and he says that Thunder Bay is going back to a full lock-down starting Friday 2/26/21. Barbershops, bars, restaurants, etc. all closed again. Gas stations and grocery stores open under very strict stipulations of hours and number of customers. Because of this, he feels it is highly unlikely that the border will be open this year, unless the numbers come down drastically. Symmetre, what's your take on this?

TODAY @ 1:21 PM
toughontrout
USER SINCE 12/21/20

Hey BP1, where does your common sense come from? We are born with a free will, but not with common sense. Common sense comes from what using all of your senses and then forming an opinion. Without common sense, we would have no rationale, and January 6th was a perfect example of that, no common senses, no rationale.

The border will open only when those in an athoritative position see fit to open it, and there's nothing we can do to sway their decision. 

TODAY @ 9:46 AM
Bigpike1
USER SINCE 2/28/02

Toughontrout you do that. As for myself I will use my own common sense. As for Canada its clearly time to move on for this year. Plenty of awesome destinations in the U.S.A. with needy people wanting my tourist dollars. Pike Out.

TODAY @ 9:30 AM
toughontrout
USER SINCE 12/21/20

Symmetre, you really should be our (Americans) "go-to-guy", as your history and knowledge speak for themselves. Simpler put, I would go to a divorce lawyer for a divorce, I would go to a gardener on any needed advice on my garden, I would go to a pilot for flying questions etc. and I would go to a Canadian on advice on Canada! We should be listening to your input, along with that of Dr. Fauci, the CDC and the WHO in order to properly plan our daily activities. All else is simple here-say and opinions. Also, my Canadian friend to the South of you really appreciates and respects your input! 

2/23/21 @ 5:51 PM
airborne1986
USER SINCE 8/16/14

I hear that... but that is where I ask how a truck driver that is running all over N. America is any safer than a person coming even to a larger city. And the spread in those cities is going to be high with our without outsiders. I guess my point here is you can use a more selective approach to who crosses north and who doesn't. I respect the choices of the Canadians but question why we allow certain groups "essential works" as we labeled them v. others. I see no reason why a person would want to come to a big city if nothing is open. So I guess that begs the question... if the border is closed by are cities opening up? Spread happens locally without outsiders coming in and is likely one of the leading causes to variants. I am not sure closing off all travel to none essential travel makes senes if things open up locally and you are allowing the truckers, pilots, and so on to go out and have a meal at a local bar. 

I think you can easily shape the restrictions to time and location, purpose of entry, and require prior testing to cross. I mean one a normal year the border police have no problem asking all those question and more.. I would not be in agreement with letting people come over to club in Toronto or Montreal. 

2/23/21 @ 4:50 PM
Symmetre
USER SINCE 5/11/20

cle - When I was a kid I worked at a couple of lodges in Northwestern Ontario for a few summers, so I do know how important tourism from the US is for the camp operators in that region.

But I don't think you appreciate how many people come to other parts of Canada for reasons other than fishing. We measure the number of people visiting each year to fish and hunt in the tens of thousands, and the number of people visiting cities in the tens of millions. StatsCanada (federal government's statistics arm) puts fishing and hunting as being responsible for approx six percent (6%) of tourism visits each year.

airborne - the big cities obviously have a certain volume of pass-through traffic, but the number of people visiting them as their final destination is staggering. They're not just hitting the airport then continuing on to Kenora.

2/23/21 @ 3:29 PM
airborne1986
USER SINCE 8/16/14

Symmetre I agree with that to an extent... but the problem becomes those large cities are also pass through cities with Pearson Airport and what not. What I am eluding to is more of the RABC areas that would allow the folks that have seasonal cabins on lakes like Saganaga or the like to actually get up there and do the hunting and fishing.

I feel horrible for resort owners that really have lost their butts with this whole thing. I think the fear aspect is totally on point but what caused the fear? I mean come on now... the US has the highest COVID infection rate of any developed country? I think some of these number are skewed by the media but I know just in the small circles I run there is a super high infection rate and we are all pretty careful. I think there were chances to try and make this more manageable rather than turtle shelling us like some would have it. 

There is a huge incentive for certain groups to keep people locally confined and spending money on local economies. Just remember almost every single border closer came after the US already closed its borders--retaliation? Maybe... but there is also the idea that some of us cannot even agree there is a problem. 

I hope that the borders open sooner than later but unfortunately both sides have dug such a hole for justifying stay at home orders, travel bans, and so on it will take some time to get back out of it. I am hoping to still do a LOTW trip for the fall muskie hunting but I am not too overly optimistic considering there is already talk about another wave coming in the fall going into to winter.

2/23/21 @ 1:17 PM
cle
USER SINCE 3/7/15

From the U.S. I mean

2/23/21 @ 1:15 PM
cle
USER SINCE 3/7/15

Symmetre

I don't think you realize how many people go to Northwestern Ontario for fishing and hunting.

2/23/21 @ 8:23 AM
Symmetre
USER SINCE 5/11/20

What we have to remember is that the majority of people visiting Canada from the US are not parking themselves in boats in the middle of some remote lake, they come to visit the big cities, mainly Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. It's lost on me, since I've always thought you see one city you've seen them all, but year after year that is the case and the tourism numbers bear it out.

I agree the fear factor is off the chart. But it's got nothing to do with people going fishing, it's all about what happens when 100,000 people from the States decide to go away for the weekend and show up in Toronto on a Friday afternoon, because that's exactly what happens every Friday afternoon when the borders are open. And Montreal. And Vancouver. And Calgary. And Ottawa. And Quebec City. And Banff ... you get the picture.

That's why the border is closed, and that's why nothing is going to change till we have a majority of people vaccinated on each side of the border.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 121 POSTS
Advertise here
The new StrikeMaster Pro Jacket and Pro Bibs delivers the ultimate in cold-weather outerwear, keeping you warm, comfortable and safe on the ice. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - Pro Jacket & Bibs
ICx Ice Rods from Okuma feature a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. Orange colored rod tip for improved bite visibility and are backed by a limited 1-year warranty. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - ICx Ice Rods
St. Croix's all-new series of technique-specific rods features extreme performance blanks and materials specific to each model. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Croix Custom Ice series
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.