MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Canadian Border opening to non essential travel?

10/4/20 @ 9:57 PM
ORIGINAL POST
doorman
doorman
User since 12/28/06

Resort owners, Canadian residents or people in the know. When will the boarder open? 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 27 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

TODAY @ 6:57 AM
Deerlake1
User since 6/20/13

Not opening ! Closed by Canada PM again yesterday until US has virus under control. Doesn't appear anytime soon.

11/8/20 @ 1:57 PM
Symmetre
User since 5/11/20

Essential, commercial traffic does not have an opportunity to spread the virus since the truck driver isn't even allowed to get out of the cab. Once they're across the border the driver goes to a designated yard where workers take off the trailer. Canadian drivers take it from there to its destination. New trailer for the return trip is hooked up and the driver is back in the US within the hour. There is no back-and-forth infection happening because the driver never gets out of the truck.

Border is not going to open for a long time guys, that's just the way it is.

11/6/20 @ 5:16 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

Nope same pres. 4 more years Canadas leader will never open the border

11/5/20 @ 2:38 PM
Forstmate1060
User since 5/10/20

Just a feeling, but when we change Presidents, it will happen soon. The current guy tried to start a  trade war with our neighbors. Just sayin.....

11/5/20 @ 12:45 PM
MAK
MAK
MEMBER since 6/16/01

I don't see the border opening anytime soon.  I work for a Canadian based company and the government is taking Covid very seriously.  Here are some of the penalties you could face for not following quarantine procedures.  It's not worth the hassle;

Compliance and enforcement

Violating any instructions provided to you when you entered Canada or failing to provide accurate information is an offence under the Quarantine Act and could lead to up to:

• 6 months in prison and/or
  • $750,000 in fines

If you choose to break your mandatory quarantine or isolation, resulting in the death or serious bodily harm to another person, you could face:

• a fine of up to $1,000,000 or
  • imprisonment of up to 3 years or
  • both

The Contraventions Act gives police (including the RCMP, provincial and local police) more power to enforce the Quarantine Act. They can issue tickets to people who don't comply with the act or the emergency orders. Fines range from $275 to $1,000.

11/5/20 @ 12:32 PM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

So with tons of essential traffic going across, the ban on non-essential seems all the more pointless.  And I bet the resort owners would argue their clients are essential to their survival. Long term I have to imagine many people who can't go to Canada will find a place in the US to go to and never go back to Canada.  

11/3/20 @ 6:16 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Not much talk about "essential" travel between CA and here.  There are thousands of trucks crossing the border every day, along with thousands of cars carrying employees going back and forth for work-related issues.   Regardless of "non-essential" travel, there is a TON of essential travel going on, sending the virus back and forth.  

11/3/20 @ 1:08 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Dang last year my 3rd trip of the year to Winnipeg for ice fishing got cancelled, none this year, I am not sure if I can handled this.

11/3/20 @ 9:12 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

I’ve been thinking some more about our chances of getting into  Canada next year. Without a vaccine, I see no way that Canada is going to open  the border. Covid is not going to go away quickly. Even if things get better, there is going to be a chance of spreading the virus for many months and probably years. Canada has shown that it is not going to take chances.

I have heard that the vaccine will first be given to our first responders and emergency personnel. Thereafter the vaccine will be given to old people like me. Only then will the general population have access to the vaccine. I have heard that will not occur until next summer. If that is true, and it takes a couple months for the vaccine to take affect, it would be late next summer or fall before we could count on the vaccine. Then the issue will be whether Canada believes in the vaccine. What about those who do not take the vaccine?

My analysis and I sure hope I’m wrong!

10/23/20 @ 7:45 AM
Buckskin
User since 5/19/04

Now Canada is dealing with their own surge in cases, just like everywhere else.  They acted like keeping the border closed would keep the virus out.  Virus don't play by those rules...   The problem now is that people are tired of being restricted and realize that the virus doesn't kill but a tiny fraction and nearly none who are young and healthy.  So it will run it's drawn out course.  It is interesting that their socialized program has almost 2x the death rate that the US has.... 4.7% vs 2.7%

Lets hope this slow road to herd immunity finally ends, sooner than later.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 27 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.