Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Yamaha 4 stroke oil change

11/7/17 @ 6:53 PM
ORIGNAL POST
High banks Mark
User since 11/24/14

I have a 90hp Yamaha that's 4 years old.  The last two years when I've changed the oil and filter, the filter looks like brand new, almost like no oil has gone through it.  I had been thinking that it was draining back into the motor while it was sitting.  

Now I have a 70hp Yamaha on my fishing boat that I changed oil on last night.  It had been sitting in the driveway since Sunday morning, so I assumed any oil in the filter would have drained back into the motor.  It didn't.  A fair amount of oil came out of the filter when I loosened it up.  

Now I'm wondering if my 90hp isn't pumping oil through the filter.  I put about 50 hours on the 90 hp every summer.  I'd have to believe if it's not pumping oil, the motor would be destroyed by now.

Any thoughts?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/8/17 @ 8:56 PM
High banks Mark
User since 11/24/14

I got in touch with a Yamaha Master Tech at the Skeeter Boat Center in Chippewa Falls today.  He said the motor has an audible alarm that would sound if there isn't enough oil pressure.  He figures it must be draning back into the crank case due to the angle/trim.  Said not to worry about it.  If it wasn't getting oil, the motor would alarm.

11/8/17 @ 7:55 AM
Skunky
Skunky
User since 3/15/14

You would have takin out a bearing by now if it was not getting oil!!!

11/8/17 @ 7:31 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Are the 2 filters sitting a different way on the motor? I can’t believe your motor ran all summer without oil. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.