LOGIN
Lake-Link

Yamaha 2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke Motor

11/26/14 @ 9:38 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Moose55
User since 5/30/04
Hello Everyone,

I am in the market for an Alumacraft Navigator 165/175 CS from the mid 2000s (year). I normally come across these units with either a 2 stroke or 4 stroke yamaha motor. If you had a choice to buy an Alumacraft Navigator and since the layouts are all the same between two boats. If the only difference was a 60HP 2 stroke and a 60 HP 4 stroke. Which one would you buy.

Thanks, Rob

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/25/14 @ 8:59 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
Go 4 stroke I have 9 boats in AK and 3 in Kona hi I have a big mix of motors the Yamahas are the only ones that don't give me issues I have a 250 yamaha 4 stroke with 7800 hrs no issues at all!!!! also have a evenrude 38 special 2 stroke from the early 80's that has been perfect. It's a crap shoot. The 4 strokes Yamahas have been perfect no issues at all. I am putting a sail boat boat together for a 2 yr South Pacific adventure and that boat will have twin Yamaha 50's on it. My favorite boat has a 90 2 stroke on it. It is super fast always starts no issues little hard on fuel but I drive it hard so that's more on me. Can't beat the Yamaha 4's if I had it to do all over again all my rigs would be yamhas!! Suskis are a better motor hands down but very hard to get parts and service. If you want best motor buy susuki 4 stroke want best bang for buck buy Yamaha 4. Exec is pain in back side I have had to buy 9 plugs just to get 3 to index properly as for merc their shift controls suck!!!!! I wish I could like them but they are just bad compared to the others.

12/24/14 @ 1:26 PM
Fillet Show
User since 7/14/08
I second the comment on 4 stroke. Have a 60 hp 4 stroke from 02 and no issues. Quiet, no smoke, and not very thirsty for gas. Only fill it a few times a year, and that's running about 2 hours per outing. Get out 50 times or more per season. Probably a gallon for every half hour of use.

FS

12/18/14 @ 11:58 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09
I think the 90% rule is a perfect answer. If it has 90% of what you want on it then buy it. The one thing at having some experience with buying used boats/motors is the motor. All the boat needs to do is float without leaks if it has some dock rash not a big deal to me. But the motor is something that you will be relying heavily on to maybe get you out of some hairy situations. There is no way I will ever buy a used boat again without being in the water in it first/not hooking it up to a hose on the driveway actually putting it threw the paces on the water. I love my four stroke and will probably never go back to a 2 stroke in my life on either one of my boats. But if I came across 2 boats identical in every way 1 with a 2 stroke and one with a four and the guy with the 2 stroke said I use the boat a lot and the other said I run it 3 times a year on a small lake I would take the 2 stroke. Because I would bet that if something was going to go wrong with that 2 stroke he would have probably fixed it right to get back out on the water rather than the person not really running the boat never really putting it to the test then you go out and run it on a big lake and something happens 2 miles away from the dock. Also fixing an outboard isn't cheap so I would rather have a strong 2 stroke with maybe not as many options on the boat than a so so 4 stroke and a decked out boat. Hope what i am posting is helping just have bought acouple lemons in the past and it sucked.

12/15/14 @ 9:05 PM
Badwolf
User since 6/13/07
I prefer 4 stroke for a couple of reasons, first they run cooler and last longer. But secondly they don't burn oil and put that exhause into the water that I want to eat fish out of.

I did, however put a new motor on a very old boat (1963), so I did have the option of being picky. You are looking at a used motor, so you don't have the flexabability that I had.

However, if you find the boat you are looking for that doesn't have a motor it will be VERY cheap and you might be able to get a new motor on it for a comparable price (boats.net has some bargains), while getting what you want; or close to it.

That said, if you find a deal that is too good to pass up don't pass it up! Prices will go way up in spring and you won't have time to modify it to your desires before ice out. The big thing is always of course the condition of the motor.

Oh, and I am a huge fan of Yamaha; I have had lots of problems a couple years ago - but EVERY one of them was north of the power head.

12/15/14 @ 4:58 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I think you just nailed it Moose...

We all have our preferences when it comes to putting together our ideal boat - 4 stroke / 2 stroke motor included. There is no right or wrong answer, people like what they like.

Since you are not ordering your boat new, it is difficult (not impossible though) to find a used boat that has everything you want. If you are buying a used boat, and it has 80% of what you are looking for, and is priced to sell, I say go for it! You don't always have the same flexibility on a used boat that you have on a new boat.

My fishing boat has a 150 2 Stroke Etec on it, and I love it. If I were buying a new duck hunting boat I'd go with Etec again. But if I were buying a used (newer) duck hunting boat, and it had all the options I was looking for, and had a 4 Stroke Yami instead of an etec, I'd scoop it right up in a minute.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
12/15/14 @ 4:27 PM
Moose55
User since 5/30/04
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information. I am really going back and forth on the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke engines. Since I am looking at a used unit, it is not like I really get to design my own package. Not to mention even if I bought a unit, I don't have the cash to drop on a newer or new 4 cycle. So my dilemma is the same, do I wait for the perfect 4 cycle engine on a Alumacraft Navigator to come along or by the best rig regardless of the engine (2cycle vs 4cycle).

Keeping post if you have any additional information,

Thanks, Rob

12/4/14 @ 11:51 AM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
I can tell you I've been running a Yamaha four stroke since 2001 and have never had a problem.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
12/3/14 @ 8:30 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09
To my understanding yamaha stopped making two strokes due to the emission laws and now only make four strokes. So if you are buying a "new" yamaha 2 stroke it is most likely a 2011ish model year. But I could be wrong. Looked at one for my old boat that was on close out in 2011 and that's what I thought the dealer told me.

11/30/14 @ 7:51 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
not always i had a 2 stroke 30 on my current boat same ptch prop and it struggled to get on plane. i have a 2012 30 4 stroke same pitch prop on it now and it shoots me out of the water.

11/30/14 @ 5:16 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Not sure about Yami's, (assuming it is similar though) the Etecs emit less pollutants than 4 strokes BW... Same fuel economy, less weight, and just as quiet. The newer 2 Strokes are worth looking at...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.