LOGIN
Lake-Link

Worst anchor ever...

5/3/14 @ 5:08 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I have a fiberglass boat, and my old anchor (22 pounds) held great. It was a bit heavy pulling up though.

I wasn't anchor shopping, but stumbled accross this anchor at Duhmans while getting some fishing jigs, it weighed next to nothing, and the manufacturer's decal stated that it was rated for a boat up to 19 feet, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Didn't hold at all, and I mean not at all. I don't think this thing would hold a boat with a 5 mph wind. I even had 5 feet of chain on it. Luckily I had my old anchor with me, and put it right back on.

Maybe it would work for a small 12 foot Jon Boat, completely useless for a fiberglass boat.

If anyone wants it, let me know.... I'm done with it!

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/12/14 @ 3:43 PM
mounter
mounter
User since 12/20/03
I use these anchors without problem on our 20' Triton. They work awesome in the sandy bottom of Castle Rock.

5/8/14 @ 8:00 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I longer have it, so it is just a memory... Gave it to a fellow Lake-Linker.

At any rate, I can see how it would work in heavy vegetation. when I used it a couple of weeks ago, it was in muck with around 3 or 4 feet of chain on. I know I didn't have 3 or 4 feet of rope out for every foot of depth, as I was only fishing in 3 feet of water, and I had to be close to a fallen tree where the Crappie were hiding.

I could see how that would help though...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
5/8/14 @ 6:01 AM
Wolfden
User since 4/7/09
this is 1 of 2 anchors I keep in my 18 ft fibreglass it seems to work well. In heavy vegetation I don't like to use it as it will be real hard to bring up. Like the other said, leave plenty of rope out and you will have better success hooking up. my other anchor is a river type anchor. works better in rock and weed bottoms.

5/7/14 @ 10:30 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
These are actually good anchors if you use them correctly. First you need at least 3' for every 1' of water depth and more is better. Plus putting a length of chain with this style anchor keeps the flukes in the bottom. Without a long lead and an anchor they won't hold much of anything.

5/7/14 @ 8:57 PM
walleyeguy007
walleyeguy007
User since 1/1/06
I may be wrong but, the chain you were using is probably the reason it wasn't holding at all. Try using it with rope instead and as another LL'er stated, let more than enough rope out. Especially in current.

5/7/14 @ 12:45 AM
Channel Cat
Channel Cat
User since 6/24/05
I have one of these anchors. I think i found mine out in Oshkosh, hooked on to it when i was reeling in one of my reels. Coated it with some Plastidip, and used it for my 14' and 15' Jon boats. Worked great on those two. Moved up to a 16' Smokercraft, and now it just sits in the garage. Only thing I really didn't like about it, is that it acts like a kite when pulling it up in strong currents.

5/6/14 @ 5:27 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
They should almost be in trouble for calling it an anchor Smokercraft... It held that bad...

It's not all bad though, the Lake-Linker who came over to get it brought a four pack of some really good craft beer. Linkers are always good folk!

His cabin is on a smaller inland lake, and he has a small 12 foot tin boat. It should work out perfect for him - and I know I'll enjoy the beer.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
5/6/14 @ 11:32 AM
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
I hear ya, bad anchors are irritating. For years I've said the Richter anchors are by far the best. If it'll hold my 21' deep V in 4 footers it's a good one. I also have 3' of coated chain due to zebra mussels in Green Bay. Damn things will cut a rope quick.

5/4/14 @ 10:49 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
A fellow Linker messaged me, and the anchor will be going to a good home!

He has a smaller aluminum boat - sounds like it will work perfectly as a 2nd anchor.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
5/4/14 @ 8:41 AM
Frozenman
User since 12/16/07
For those type of anchors you have to let 5 ft. of rope for 1 ft. of depth.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.