Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Using Auto grade oil in Mercury 60hp 4S EFI Bigfoot

4/4/18 @ 2:00 AM
ORIGNAL POST
fishingfestus
User since 7/23/10

Getting ready for spring fishing and soon to change oil in my 2004 60hp Mercury 4 stroke EFI bigfoot engine.  I have always used Mercury 4 stroke oil but am trying to justify the cost difference between this oil and standard engine oil of the same SAE call outs.  I have about 800 hours on the engine, and have never experienced any problems.  I change oil every year as I use the engine for quite a bit of trolling and low RPM's.  I am taking a risk????

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/5/18 @ 8:45 AM
Cap'n
User since 2/19/05

If I am not mistaken the Amsoil product is actually a little more expensive than the merc oil.

Cappy

4/5/18 @ 7:03 AM
JimLi
User since 12/20/11

Harley-Davidson tried to void warranties if you used AmsOil. An independent testing company proved Amsoil was better than the HD oil, Then HD changed their toon. Amsoil is now making marine oil. Love the stuff. Search for their test results and you might think of trying it.

4/4/18 @ 3:37 PM
Cap'n
User since 2/19/05

To me it is not the ten dollars. It is that I feel like Mercury has scared me into having to use their product or there could be failures. So it is never a feel good when I purchase that mercury oil. It is if i don't I could have problems feeling. Same with the fuel additives #1 #2 #3.  Never felt like that was a good way to market a product. Guess I could also look at it as they are good enough to let me know that they have made the fluids that work well with their motors. 

Cappy

4/4/18 @ 9:11 AM
Skunky
Skunky
User since 3/15/14

Using specified oil is cheap insurance. Oil debate is huge. You will get many different perspectives on this one!!

4/4/18 @ 8:01 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I've been using regular oil and Fram filters on my 2001 Merc since the first time I changed the oil.  I have never had a problem w/ my outboard (knock-on-wood).

4/4/18 @ 6:33 AM
Goosecaller
MEMBER since 7/21/01

For the $10 you might save is it worth it?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.