MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Used boat price based solely on its condition HELP!!

5/27/14 @ 12:38 PM
ORIGNAL POST
wishin4fishin
wishin4fishin
User since 7/3/06
My question is this, I've come across a 2000 boat motor and trailer package that the person is basically asking what the boat cost was new in 2000 based on it's condition and low amount of use. The package books at $3800-$4200 and they are asking $8500 saying that the boat is as good as new because of its low use and condition. Is this the norm or is this person way off? My credit union told me that $8500 was way out of line just as I suspected but wanted actual boat buyers opinions. Thanks!!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/31/14 @ 10:47 AM
thdrduck
User since 4/16/11
I too am looking at a used boat (again). I don't even know the year, it's a 18 foot Lund on a trailer, guy wants $1600 without a motor. Seems a bit high but it is a nice big boat on a good trailer.

5/30/14 @ 7:57 AM
wishin4fishin
wishin4fishin
User since 7/3/06
It's a 2000 Crestliner 16' tiller boat, 2000 Mercury tiller 40HP 4-stroke and a Karavan trailer. I've since moved on after talking to a few marine dealers they told me they wouldn't even have it for that price if they were selling it. I guess that's why its been for sale for a while???

5/28/14 @ 12:43 PM
Jackbass
User since 1/29/02
Can't blame the guy for trying, especially this time of year. I would check back with him in August.

5/28/14 @ 6:52 AM
JethroBodine
User since 12/21/01
" basically asking what the boat cost was new in 2000"

Eh, I missed this part in the original post.

I was thinking more along the lines of "A 14 year old Lund Mr. Pike might have a NADA around $5000, but if you had one with low hours on the motor, in good shape, you could get more than $5000 for it pretty easily."

If the boat was $8500 new fourteen years ago it's not a very high end boat and in no way worth what it cost new.

It is pretty common for higher end boats to sell for more than NADA in good shape. Acquisition cost is nuts.

5/28/14 @ 6:28 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
its used and no way worth 8500 for a 2000 boat dont care if it is in brand new condition. that would be like me having a vehicle with 300,000 miles but cause its in pristine condition i want 27,000 dollars. it isnt gonna happen and that guy is crazy wanting that much for a boat that is 14 years old.

5/28/14 @ 6:01 AM
Wolfden
User since 4/7/09
It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it....

If you like it, make sure to take it for a test run.. Offer him what you feel comfortable giving him for it. Have in your mind a walk away price and stick to it. Don't worry about insulting him. Just make your offer, and If you can't agree on a price, walk away. like used cars there is aways another out there.

5/27/14 @ 10:47 PM
Badwolf
User since 6/13/07
Used BOATS are a dime a dozen, I had one that I had to force someone to take with the motor for parts; didn't want to get stuck with the boat or trailer. When it comes to used boats the motor is key. Also think about devaluation. How much does a new car loose once it is driven off the lot? Boats are the same; it is USED! There might be problems with the motor. Unless you are buying VINTAGE used is used; not new, price should reflect that.

To get a valuation, or at least a good base line to work from check this link:

http://www.boats.net/boats/search.html

They probably won't have your particular boat there but they might be able to give you a good starting point. Personally if I were to be spending that much I'd either go with a downsized new (100%) or get a cheap used boat and put the cash into a brand new motor. This is kind of what I did only the boat sat for a decade with a shot motor before I got it back on the water. I got the motor from the site I sent you. Keep in mind that there are shipping charges involved with this site & they require it to be installed by a dealer. Given the shipping charges I doubt I would by an actual boat from there.

The guy you are talking with though; stay away.

5/27/14 @ 6:52 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I believe one of the bigger disservices you can do to an older two stroke is not run it...

You ever notice how poorly many older two strokes run the first time out every Spring.

Within limits, the more they run, the better they run. I agree with ml2trick, letting them sit for years is not a good thing...

Post more info. on your boat and lots of folks on here can help you sort it out.

Also, NADA is a starting point, not an ending point.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
5/27/14 @ 5:47 PM
JethroBodine
User since 12/21/01
Used boats are somewhat outside NADA. I just sold a 2004 PolarKraft 178 with a 2004 150 Yamaha HPDI on it for $14,000 within a week back in March, and I paid $20K for it off the showroom in 2007.

NADA was $10,805, and a dealer called and offered me $12K cash, sight unseen. (I'm guessing he thought it was worth more than NADA as well)

I sold my 2002 Lund 1675 Explorer SS with a Merc 90 on it for $3500 less than I purchased it for new, five years later. (also within a week)

And I sold my 1990s Lund with a 50hp Johnson for $500 less than I paid for it after using it 4 years. (again within a week)

It's hard to get decent used boats in the $5-$15K range, they go quick.

5/27/14 @ 5:29 PM
ml2trick
ml2trick
User since 6/18/01
Been a Marine Mechanic for 30 years. That is way over priced. This guy sounds like he has the endowment effect. Thinks everything he has is worth gold. I do not even like boats that hardly have been used. They never have all the bugs out of them and you end buying the problems,from non use.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.