LOGIN
Lake-Link

Tramsom Saver

6/8/17 @ 8:13 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Monkeymaster
User since 2/22/17

Hello,

I know I will start a giant argument with those for and those against, but ....

I have a 2001 Lowe aluminum 17ft bass boat with a 2001 Johnson 50 hp with power tilt and trim.

This Johnson has a "L" shaped bracket on both sides of the motor that you twist down, and then lower the tilt and trim, until These rest on the transom top, when trailering, thus all of the weight is on the transom.

I thought about makeing a transom saver, and started by using a 2x6 cut to length with a v notch, cutting the sq end until I thought the length was correct.

I was then going to fire up the welder with some sq tubeing and build one.

With the 2x6 make up I lowered the tilt and trim and noticed that the hydrulic cylinder that lifts and lowers the motor will actually apply extra pressure onto the 2x6 when lowering, so my question is, will the transom saver actualy do anything good for the transom, being the hydrulic cylinder has the pressure on it, and in return it is on the transom ?

Fire away !

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/24/17 @ 8:00 AM
Rob92761
Rob92761
User since 1/16/07

i also you the wedge

6/23/17 @ 2:16 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

If your boat is strapped down tight and you don't use a transom saver then the stress of the bouncing is on your hydraulics and transom.  Its called leverage (physics).  A transom saver removes the leverage your motor has on your transom and hydraulics while its while up.

Driving in the lake your motor is down, no leverage.  Driving down the highway its up, leverage.  Think about trying to loosen a bolt with a ratchet.  Which way works easier and why?  The way that gives you more leverage.

I bought one boat from a guy for next to nothing where he bent the transom.  I could fix it so I got a great deal, him not so much.  I see bent transoms when I look around.  Not all are as obvious, but they are there if you look for them.  Some are just a little curved, some have broken welds.

6/22/17 @ 9:31 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
User since 3/26/15

I would rather not have my lower unit absorb all the bumps while driving down the road. Physics my friends. A transom saver is a gimmick. 

6/22/17 @ 9:27 AM
Viszla-Terrier
User since 12/27/10

My 2014 aluminium boat and 150 hp 4 stroke came from the dealer with a My Wedge type product on it. I asked about it and they said that was all that was needed. I bought a wedge because it was beefier. So far nothing has busted off. 

6/19/17 @ 10:37 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

I too use the my wedge, and have been using one of these on several different boats.  The larger motors put more torque on your transom when driving around than your motor does driving down the road.  What a transom save doe sis keep your motor from draggin on the ground should your hydrolics fail.

6/14/17 @ 10:40 AM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

In reply to your post on questioning whether or not you should use a transom saver...YES, absolutely use one. You can generally purchase a quality adjustable one for around $50 +/- at locations everywhere from WalMart to Bass Pro to Cabellas and your local marine dealership. It's a great investment to prevent damage to your equipment.

6/10/17 @ 8:16 AM
Annes Regret
MEMBER since 7/7/11
I use the m-y wedge.

6/9/17 @ 5:15 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12

While i love to buikd stuff. You can buy a good transom saver for about 50 bucks. The big key to a transom saver is making sure your boat is locked down tight to trailer. So they work together you dont want trailer and boat bouncing at differant times. I like the saver that twists into the trailer and has a spring shock in the middle. Not sure if they are still in production but they are great.  I can see if i can get a pic for you

6/9/17 @ 9:30 AM
cajunmusky
User since 8/22/05

The big answer is yes, you should use a transom saver if your are trailering your boat-  I am making the assumption that the 2x6 rig you made up is anchored to the trailer?  Otherwise, it won't help much-  any boat (glass or metal) will flex at the transom because of the weight of the motor (yours is about 200 lbs).  The transom saver will eliminate a lot of this flex by anchoring the transom to the trailer frame.  Without the transom saver, the repeated flexing of the transom due to road bumps, stop/start of the tow vehicle, will weaken and fatigue whatever material the transom is made of and could cause the transom to fail structurally over time.  It doesn't happen that often, but I have seen a few large outboards attached to nothing but a piece of glass or aluminum on the side of the interstate (poor guys).

It sounds like you are pretty handy mechanically, so you may want to figure a way to incorporate an old vehicle shock absorber into your homemade transom saver. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.