LOGIN
Lake-Link

The Making of a Mechanic..!!

3/4/15 @ 1:22 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Big River Dude
Big River Dude
User since 4/27/11
Hello my fellow Lake-Linkers, I'm reaching out to see if my fellow fishermen and mechanics would put their CandyCane Crush and Farmville games on hold to start a new and productive game called: The Making of a Mechanic. The objectives of the game is to lead a Nice Polish Guy in a step by step overhaul of a 1993 Mercury 50 hp outboard before the Spring Walleye Run. The challenge is, I'm a Carpenter, not a mechanic. I REALLY need some help with this task. I somehow killed killed the compression on one of my cylinders. I will be getting an entire kit, and also found someone to bore/hone it, but I don't have a clue as to where to start. ANY HELP would be GREAT..!!! Thanks in advance..!! Jim P.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/8/15 @ 8:46 PM
Big River Dude
Big River Dude
User since 4/27/11
Thank you guys for all the information so far. The manual is on it's way. Yes sir Grandad, you hit the nail on the head.!! Found out, after the fact that the motor was run full throttle for approximately one hr. while the alarm was going off. Then the next time I had it out, they said it probably was the carburetor and was reviving the crap out of it, without my knowledge. NEVER trust ANYONE with my boat AGAIN...!!! But I Will take on the task, because I can't afford new, and have a hard time trusting used. To have someone else do it will cost more than it's worth. A couple of fellow Lake-Linkers will assist once I take it apart and see what the pistons and cylinders look like. I would have put my 1998 9.9 hp. Force to get me by, but it was STOLEN from my basement in Milwaukee and might have ended up around the Dells area. The kids name is Nick and his parents live in the Dells area. Any help would be great. Thanks again guys for the help in helping along with this rebuild. Jim P

3/8/15 @ 4:43 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09
First get a factory Merc. shop Manual! Read it,taking the power head of is really no problem!The problem starts when you start tearing it apart.Find a GOOD marine engine machine shop to give you a quote on the rebuild,than make your decision if it is worth it.Without the proper tools and experience a rebuild is going to be pretty tough!I have had 5 of these 50's and the really are pretty bullet proof,some body really had to ignore this one to get it in that shape!Just my 2cents!

3/7/15 @ 10:48 AM
Big River Dude
Big River Dude
User since 4/27/11
If I were to pick, and sell mushrooms even at $20 per lb. I just might be able to buy a 1945 5 hp Johnson. Or maybe the cowl of one. I think the trolling motor is a better idea than the canoe we used last spring.. Lol.. Blush

3/7/15 @ 9:43 AM
waterbugg
User since 6/13/09
I suggest that you check your local library for books on how to perform outboard motor repair. The West Bend library has several of these including different outboard motor vintages. You may need some special tools such as a flywheel puller, etc.

3/7/15 @ 9:18 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
The top end of a two stroke is pretty straight forward. The bottom end on the other hand, different story ...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
3/6/15 @ 9:30 PM
Tie1on
Tie1on
User since 1/29/15
I'll chime in....If it was me, I'd just look for a different motor. The money/time you spend working on that, will probably be more than finding something different. On a plus side...then you would have spare parts (if you found same engine).

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.