MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Stepts to get fishing boat ready to sell.

4/21/14 @ 8:39 AM
ORIGNAL POST
ov10mech
ov10mech
User since 4/21/14
Hi all,

I recently inherited a fishing boat from my father. Its an 1988 Tracker 17 . He barely used the boat and has stayed stored indoors all its life. It was last used a couple of years ago then winterized. I own a large cruiser with inboards and not really familiar with Outboard maintenance. Is there a checklist you guys can help me with I should look at doing before selling? It currently has a Honda 15HP 4 stroke outboard and a Merc 7)HP as primary . I will check all batteries as I have a load tester. I am thinking I should probably take the Honda off and sell outright since that was just added a few years ago and I think I could get more for it off the boat than someone would be willing to pay extra , thoughts?

Last, assuming the boat is in good condition, which it is, what would be a good asking price? I do have down riggers for it, new decals, new windshield still in box, and pleasure seats in excellent condition.

Thank you for any help.

This is the only pic I have at the moment.

As soon as I get my cruiser in I am going to go into detail mode for the fishing boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxa5vmqc8x5xui7/Screenshot%202014-04-21%2008.34.47.png

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/28/14 @ 3:33 PM
bonz-dragon
User since 6/16/09
I would only leave NADA as a close guess as thery are ususally not even close to the real world market. There are much better places to get a realtime estamitmits of what it's really worth. CL for one, Boattrader for amother. oodle.com for amother.

4/26/14 @ 8:56 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I think you are correct OV, I would agree that you may get more separating the two outboards. Small tiller drive outboards are fairly easy to sell, and don't usually last too long in the want ads if they are priced reasonably.

As far as price, NADA is a good starting point, but will likely list a price lower than what you could sell it for. Used boat pricing can be really subjective. You could have a 8 year old boat that was only used two times per year and stored inside, or a 4 year old boat that was used 15 times per year with worn carpeting and was stored outside. I think sometimes condition has more to do with price than age. Poke around on the Trading Post and Craigs List to see what similar rigs are going for, then decide where to price yours.

Lastly, if you live anywhere near a boat launch, offer the potential buyer the option of a test drive, and note that you are willing to do so in your ad. So many people try to sell other people their problems, and people buying used stuff can be pretty guarded. The offer of a test drive will let the buyer know that you have nothing to hide. I've had good luck in the past offering the buyer a test drive, really sets their mind at ease.

Good luck

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
4/25/14 @ 6:40 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05
you could try NADA, there is a Marine section, you enter your zip code and they will give you a price of what it is worth, at least a place to start.

4/25/14 @ 11:20 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
boat its self looks good I would make sure the motor runs and sell it as is.

4/21/14 @ 7:26 PM
Sashimi Slammer
MEMBER since 3/17/05
I didn't do anything special to my 1987 17' a few years ago and traded it in for 3000 dollars. Dealer prob sold it for near 4000. That was with Lowrance HDS electronics, a kicker and a bow mount.

5/30/11 @ 4:36 PM
amstel239
User since 12/28/01
I always clean it up good, check all fuses make sure battery's are charged everything works OR at least be able to tell what is not working. What has also helped me a lot in the past is make sure the engine is ready to go fresh lube etc. I have also paid to have the compression test done on the engine and have a copy of the report. Last one I sold was a 150hp and it was $80 for the compression test. Puts a person's mind at ease when they know the engine is good. takes a big gamble out of the situation. Hopes this helps... Good Luck!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.