Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

solar panels

5/11/17 @ 12:55 PM
ORIGNAL POST
big ken
User since 6/3/06

We have no power at the boat dock. Where we are located, getting power to the docks is not an option. 

Has anyone used solar panels to charge a marine battery?  There are some advertised with mixed  reviews, so I thought this community might be a better source of information. 

Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated

Thanks

BK

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/4/17 @ 1:39 PM
Big Yonsson
Big Yonsson
User since 9/29/03

I brought my Honda 2000 with me to charge mine on the dock.Worked great and the resort lost power for a day and it came in handy then also.

Very quiet unit.Bought it new in the box for $700 on Craigslist.

5/20/17 @ 10:13 AM
big ken
User since 6/3/06

Hi Cajin

I really like the portable generator idea. We own on condo in what had been a resort, so this problem impacts other owners as well.  I will do some research and present the findings to the other owners to see if this of interest. 

Thanks for the information. This is an example of  lake-link is at its best

BK

5/17/17 @ 7:38 AM
cajunmusky
User since 8/22/05

No worries BK-

If you do decide to go with the small genset, here's a few recomms-

If you have a tool rental place close by your house, they might have those gennies as rentals- you could try one out in their parking lot to see how quiet they are, and ask them about maintenance-  or, you could stop by an RV campground and ask around and see who has one in front of their rig and talk to them about it before you invest your dough.  When I use mine in the UP, I put it into the sauna when it is raining, chock the sauna door and windows open to vent the exhaust.  When it isn't raining, I stack empty coolers around the running genie and can't hear it around the campfire- doesn't take much to make it relatively soundless.  The two best models are Honda and Yamaha, for me, the choice came down to the fact that the Yamaha has a fuel level gauge, and a fuel tank empty switch so I can dump all of the fuel easily before I put it into storage.

Good, luck.

5/16/17 @ 11:48 AM
big ken
User since 6/3/06

Thank you for the post Cajun,

That explains why all of the products I saw could only produce a trickle charge and not fully charge a deep cycle battery. I seems what I was looking for may not exist. 

I will explore the idea of a portable charger. That is an interesting idea that could work.

Definitely more helpful than installing Lunar panels. 

5/15/17 @ 11:52 AM
cajunmusky
User since 8/22/05

I am not an EE myself, but have access to some of the best on the planet- these are the guys that developed spray on solar panels, PV tent/sail material, and even PV boat carpet (expect to see it as an option on Tritons in a few years).  To a man, they all tell me that it is not possible to recharge a deep cycle battery using solar.  At best, you can get a trickle (maintenance) charge.  They have their usual technical gobblydegook explanation, but the bottom line is it ain't happenin'.  I tried small wind turbines to get a charge, my property in the UP doesn't have the best topography for it- high steep shoreline, lots of tall pines- even resorted to placing the turbine posts inside my dock posts, and the best I could do was 5 days of charge in 20 days of fishing.  I ended up taking the turbines to an outpost lake in Ontario and installed them for the outfitter, he has the perfect property for them and says they work great to recharge his batts.

I have used solar in Iraq and AFG to charge small stuff, optics, radios, phones, lights, even ran my computer off of solar for a few days- the best panels I found were by Brunton, they make a nice roll-up panel that is very robust and hard to break.

To solve my batt charging issue up at the cabin, I ended up buying a small Yamaha e1000 generator- about as quiet as an idling car, sips gas, and has a bunch of other applications as well.  The small 1000 size goes for about 700$, but to try and get enough solar + converter + regulator to do a half-baked charge on your deep cycle batts will set you back well over 1000$ and still won't give you a good charge.  I know it isn't what you wanted to hear, but I have the same issue as yourself and this was the best solution I could come up with for me.

4/23/10 @ 9:19 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

I have been looking into one for our pier too. Mine would be used more to maintain a battery more than anything. Mostly to just plug in the onboard charger. 

5/13/17 @ 8:54 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Big Ken, If u find something that performs up too par please let us know. I will sometime next month I'm thinking.

5/12/17 @ 9:07 PM
big ken
User since 6/3/06

Nicely done

That's the kind of help I was looking for. 

5/12/17 @ 5:20 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01

Nice one Bugle, but you bought the wrong model.  Should have gotten the lunar panels model.

5/12/17 @ 6:09 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Mine would be for my Pier. Not taking trips with it. I also will not be on the water for 12 hrs everyday. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.