Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Smokercraft Fuel tank problem

7/29/17 @ 4:31 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Smokercraft16
User since 7/29/17

I hope someone can steer me in the right direction on this one. I have a 2002 16' Smokercraft Osprey with a 16 gallon internal fuel tank and 50 hp Yamaha. When I pulled it out of winter storage I filled the tank. Recently, I've been having to put gas in every 2 or 3 times we take it out crabbing. Last week it ran out of fuel while we were docking. Took it straight to the gas station and it only took on 3.8 gallons before the tank filled. I'm thinking there must be a float that possibly has filled with gas or failed causing the system to think the tank is empty when it's actually full? I've done a lot of repair work on this boat myself but this one is beyond me. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/30/17 @ 12:01 PM
Highthrust
MEMBER since 1/21/13

Check to see if all your hose fittings and clamps are tight. Recently I've found and increase in air leaks into the fuel system - Same symptoms. If I think it's an air leak I put a piece of clear hose right in front of the engine. If there are leaks you see air bubbles.

Kinked hoses can also be intermittent.

7/30/17 @ 11:14 AM
Smokercraft16
User since 7/29/17

Thanks, could be. No pressure when opening the tank cover though and when it's full I can clearly smell fuel out the bow vent. I'll check into it either way. Running out of fuel in the middle of Hood Canal is no fun.

7/29/17 @ 9:19 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Maybe a venting problem. Had it happen on older boat but that was external with a manual screw to open and close vent but sounds like a similar problem. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.