Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Self inflating life jackets.

7/27/16 @ 6:42 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
I had two of Bass Pro Shop self inflating life jackets self inflate in my dry storage compartments. I called BPS and talked to a customer service rep and reported the issue. The jackets were really never exposed to water other than rain. I believe they went off due to the extreme heat we have been having. I have a Mustang and it did not go off. The jackets I had go off were BPS style 1320 Model #3042C.... The lady was very nice and mentioned to me that she had gotten other reports of this..Just bring them back and they would exchange them.  I told her it was a safety issue and they needed to follow up and really fix the issue....  If you have them be careful..  I think I will just upgrade to all Mustangs or go back to the old style jackets.  

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/3/16 @ 8:30 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Tuffy2, thanks. I knew that Mustangs were spendy and considered the best but I didn't know why. I have had a couple of the cheaper ones explode in a humid compartment. I now have a couple of Cabelas brand ones, but they still have the aspirin pill release mechanism. Will have to watch for the Mustangs to go on sale.

8/3/16 @ 4:07 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

It stands for Hydrostatic Inflator Technology. To my knowledge no other company has the right to use it. Most of the professional anglers use them.

I bought mine during the Bassmaster Classic last year from BPS on sale for $199.99. They are the best, with plenty of buoyancy and very dependable.

I will not skimp on money when it comes to the safety of my wife, or myself. So many people will go out and spend $200 or more for a rod and reel, only to follow that up with the purchase of a $40 life jacket.

They are so comfortable that you don't even know that you have one on. That there will have you wearing it all of the time on the water.

I have been fishing for 68 years (yes I'm old) and I have never fallen in yet, but there is always that first time. 

8/3/16 @ 6:57 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Tuffy2, what does HIT stand For? Anybody else besides Mustang use that technology that you know of?

8/2/16 @ 7:50 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

The type that uses the capsule that desolves and then lets the firing pin go will inflate in a wet, or very humid rod locker.

The H.I.T models will not fire in those conditions due to the way that they inflate. They inflate when submerged in 4" or more of water using hydrostatic inflator technology. They are also armed for five years, plus they have a viewing window showing that the vest is armed and ready to go.

8/2/16 @ 6:52 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Interesting thought Skunk

8/2/16 @ 6:34 PM
skunk tamer
User since 3/2/08

So let me get this straight. these things fail in storage (here and there, but seems fairly common). But, everyone is 100 percent sure they won't fail when you go overboard. Hmmmm

8/2/16 @ 1:22 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

I have the Mustang Elite with H.I.T and have never had any problems. I put it on when I launch my boat and I take it off when I put the boat back on the trailer. It is so comfortable that I have forgotten to take it off while backing my trailer back down to retreive my boat.

They do cost between $200-$250, but how much is your life worth? The cheap ones with the little wafer that disolves to fire the pin, which in turn inflates the vest are not trust-worthy. I do wear a Onyx conventional vest when fishing in real cold water conditions. Even the best inflatable that you can buy will fail in sub-freezing temperatures.

Another caution: Do not hook your kill switch to your inflatable vest. Please read the instructions that come with any life saving devise before using it.

8/2/16 @ 9:07 AM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

You are so right Musky Nut ! They are only good if you wear them however storage is the issue....

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
8/2/16 @ 8:56 AM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

I wanted the self inflators for my clients because of comfort.   It was extremely hot and I am going to store my replacements inflatables in a different area. The one that I had them in gets  direct son in the afternoon.Maybe that was bad.... But it still should not happen. 

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
8/2/16 @ 7:08 AM
mattg589
mattg589
User since 2/27/05

I bought the manual inflating vest from Bass Pro Shops because I read stories of a different brands of self inflating vests going off in storage or rain. I know the Mustang vests are the best out there and are worth every penny if you wear it and hook up your kill switch. Because there can be malfunctions with anything no matter the price, I went back to wearing a standard PFD just about every time I'm making a run with my main motor. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.