LOGIN
Lake-Link

safety strap on my boat/trailer.

6/5/16 @ 10:21 AM
ORIGNAL POST
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

On the trailer to my newer boat it has a strap to secure the boat to the trailer. I am not talking about the winch strap. This strap sits under the roller and used just during trailering. I think it should be a chain. Especially since the boat is pretty heavy. Am I right? I'll add a photo later. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/6/16 @ 8:15 PM
scrub
User since 8/15/06

I would use a strap like u have but a stronger one than yours looks like. Chains, unless rated for much higher pounds than what the boat is, just break. They don't stretch at all, they just snap. A link of chain that breaks can travel at speeds that can penetrate humans

6/6/16 @ 3:17 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

Most of the straps like you are talking about are there to keep the bow of the boat from bouncing up and down when trailering.

The chain is there to keep your boat from sliding off the trailer if the winch strap should break.

I have always had a safety chain and never had a problem.

6/6/16 @ 3:02 PM
Cold Front
MEMBER since 7/9/01

I wouldn't change it out either. That webbing is very strong. If it was 20 years old....maybe then. Mrt.

6/6/16 @ 11:33 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Ranger Boats are heavy, their trailers come with a Nylon webbed winch strap, and a nylon webbed safet strap shoudl the winch strap fail.  Never had the need for the safety strap to save my boat.  These boats are heavy and are not going to bounce off the bunks.  With that said, you are probalbly safe as well.

6/5/16 @ 7:23 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01

I wouldn't trust a strap vs a chain for catching  the boat if the winch strap broke.  If it were my boat, I'd replace the safety strap with a good chain.

6/5/16 @ 7:18 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I am taking about the safety strap in case the winch comes loose. I have a bunk trailer. 

6/5/16 @ 2:46 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Judging from the responses there seeems to be confusions as to the purpose and location of the strap.  jbird, are you talking about the strap that secures the boat in case the winch fails or are you talking about the starp that secures the boat to the trailer so it doesnt bounce off the trailer while flying down the highway.

6/5/16 @ 1:51 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

I could see getting away without using it if you have a bunk trailer.  If it's a roller then use it.  Twice I've seen guys with rollers drop their boats off at launches because they pulled out without that strap/chain hooked up.  One of them had not so nice words for me when I alerted him of it as he was pulling out.  "You don't need that thing. Stop being a jackass..."  Plus some other salty words. He floors it and bang...there his boat sat on the pavement.  He didn't lock his winch down and it zipped off.  As he was dumbfounded and cursing I'm pulling mine out and loudly told my buddy to check the chain because I didn't want to be the type of jackass who has his boat fall off of a trailer.  Good times....

6/5/16 @ 10:49 AM
jkruck13
User since 6/8/14

all total Ive had 4 boats, biggest 19.5 ft bayliner, also an 18 footer, now I have an 18 ft creast linner,  would go to lake Winnebigosh 480 miles every year, never used a strap, there is no way a heavy boat like those will bounce off trailer

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.