Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Remounting Transducer to Step on Hull on Ranger

4/27/17 @ 2:08 PM
ORIGNAL POST
cnorth
User since 1/5/05

Bought a boat with the transducer mounted here, see pic, on Ranger.  I lose readings above 5-10 mph.  So my question is has anyone had experience with mounting it on the back of the step so the transducer is just below the bottom of the main hull?  and if so will this fix my problem?  I don't really want to be drilling holes if this won't be the end all fix.  Any advise or experience on this would be appreciated. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/15/17 @ 8:45 AM
beasly
User since 6/12/03

I need to mount a new transducer and I would like use a stern saver. Is there enough room right next to the livewell intake that wont cause interference? I will most likely remove the speedometer sensor as it no longer works.

4/30/17 @ 7:58 PM
cnorth
User since 1/5/05

Thank you very much for your posts and recommendations!  Quite honestly i was surprised as any post in the past became a bashing post on ones inability.  So i thank you for your honest and great advice.  It has been relocated to right behind the bunk, hopefully this rectifies the situation. 

4/28/17 @ 12:28 PM
JAA On the Fox
JAA On the Fox
User since 6/4/11

Highly recommend this

http://www.sternsaver.com/

4/28/17 @ 7:45 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

I don't have pictures, but I have SI xducer mounted where yours is.  I don't get or expect readings above 5 MPH from that xducer.  I also have two xducers mounted to the left of my main motor (maybe 1/2 way to the side of the boat) that give me high speed readings.

4/28/17 @ 7:26 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

My buddy also had the same problem as you. He has no room on the step down so his is mounted just like yours, inline with the bunk. What he did was move his winch post back one hole and that put the back of the boat even with the back bunk. He was then able to lower ducer. Heres a pic of mine. You can see you can move post one hole back

4/28/17 @ 6:56 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Here's mine, I don't lose bottom. I had a dealer install mine because I had a bird ducer that was a pain in the arse. When I upgraded to Garmin the dealer installed.

4/27/17 @ 11:21 PM
LIL MAN
User since 5/20/08

It won't work where it is at anything but idle too many air bubbles and may not even be in water at 10 mph and above. It need to be down below the bottom of you hull my nitro is shaped like your Ranger mine reads perfect at 70 it is mounted down by the drain and livewell pickup so about 1/3 of it is  below the bottom line of the hull.

4/27/17 @ 9:17 PM
Islandpoint69
Islandpoint69
User since 12/17/16

Maybe mount it to the left of the black livewell drain.above that trailer bunk but have the transducer flush with the boat bottom.you can't have a strake in the path of the transducer or have air bubbles from the turbulence of the the boat bottom.I bet having it on the step the water is curling like a wave and is so churned up with air bubbles it gives you that bad reading.my friends ranger is similar and it's mounted down where the black color is make sure that area on the boat is smooth and level the transducer with a level front to back and side to side.you can take a straight edge to flush up the bottom of transducer with the bottom of boat.that could stay on the right side also so you don't need to move it far.if it's side imaging you might want to consider a different placement.anyway try where the bunk is and get away from the step.remember smooth undisturbed water flow.no air bubbles consider a transom board also will save a few holes in the glass.good luck hope it helps a little check your mounting instructions also.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.