LOGIN
Lake-Link

Ranger cool hubs leaking

12/8/16 @ 6:12 PM
ORIGNAL POST
rapattack
rapattack
User since 2/16/12

Recently noticed hubs leaking 07 reata 1850.  Anyone have info on where to get parts other than dealer? Anything special about seals ,bearings?  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/15/16 @ 3:58 PM
rapattack
rapattack
User since 2/16/12

Looks like inner seals.  Plan on pulling apart and checking everything.  Hoping sleeves ok. Never had a problem on the road, could carry extra oil maybe?

12/14/16 @ 6:14 PM
seahag
User since 3/28/03

I have never had any issues on the road with these hubs but have replaced two since 2004 do to leaking. I count my blessing since I never carried any spare parts when traveling. 

Now that I am thinking about this. What do you guys carry when traveling? 

I have never had a bearing go bad. But I have had the gasket leak. 

12/14/16 @ 3:28 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01

Oil bath hubs are great, keeps them cooler and the oil gets thrown out to the bearings lubricating them.  

Where is the leak coming from?  The inner or outer part of the hub?  If its the inner, the oil seal could be bad.  The seals will have a part number on them and your local parts store should have a replacement for that,  The only major problem you could have is the the sleeve the seal runs on is not smooth and it could ruin the new seal or prevent the new one from sealing properly.  Notice I did not mention bearings.  They are in the hub with the races and are not prone to leaking.  If you have the hub off you might as well check them.  If you have a leaking inner seal that means oil can get out, then water can get in.  So check them closely.    

12/13/16 @ 9:41 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

As far as over filling the hubs, for me it was because I was impatient!!  I used a pump to fill my hubs, well hey the oil seems to be at the propper level, time to stop filling right?  It takes a while for the oil to flow from the fill hole to the window.  So when the window was full, there was still a bunch of oil that had not flowed through yet.  Be patient!

12/12/16 @ 9:23 PM
rapattack
rapattack
User since 2/16/12
I may have over filled mine as well going off info from you tube in which stated fill all the way. Wrong. Only supposed to fill to center plug hole bottom on mine. Well I'll be doing this myself,doesn't look too bad.

12/12/16 @ 11:35 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

I have repacked and replaced many bearings, but was hesitant to do it with these.  My buddy a truck mechanic came over and did two of my bearings for me.  He showed me how, I did the other two.  Get  the bearings and and seals from NAPA.  Biggest mistake I did was overfill one set of hubs with oil.  As the oil heats up it expands and will leak.  So I got to to the seals on one set twice.  Nice thing, my buddy gave me a tool that will pound in and out both seals and bearings.  It is now in the tool box in the truck.

12/9/16 @ 8:26 PM
rapattack
rapattack
User since 2/16/12

I've always maintained my older trailer with the grease packed style hubs. Sounds like this may be a little more involved. Thanks for the responses.

12/9/16 @ 1:24 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

Does Ranger use Vault hubs on their trailers? If they do, you could take your trailer to a Triton dealer too. I would recommend the Boat Doc in Lomira. Otherwise I would take it to a Ranger dealer and pay. Sitting on the side of the road instead of fishing is not fun.

12/9/16 @ 12:59 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

I know it cost more but unless you are a good mechanic. I would take it and pay through the nose to have it done.. Then at least you have someone to blame if they fail.. Wheel bearings are something that can ruin a good trip so I always have them checked... If nothing else it gives me good piece of mind...

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
12/9/16 @ 10:34 AM
SoftWaterFishing
MEMBER since 6/24/06

I have experience redoing seals on my 2008 Ranger 1860 Angler trailer.  

depending on what the issue is, one time I wanted to replace the wear sleeve on the spindle. I couldn't locate a replacement spindle.  From the dealer, I could only get the hub assembly when trying to refresh the wear sleeve on the spindle.

two years later, the hubs were leaking again.  Northern Tool has seals. I can't recall if I looked for bearings at Northern Tool, but I did get seal puller, seal driver, oil, o-rings, and bearings through Amazon.  I used my drill press as an arbor press with a quality seal driver to help get the seals aligned straight.  I just couldn't get the large seal straight enough for my liking by trying to tap the seal around with a soft blow hammer.

Tie Down has good documents to follow which includes fill level, oil weight, red thread locker for calipers, etc.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.