Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Power trim losing pressure.

8/9/16 @ 3:34 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Northern_Reaper
User since 7/26/16
I have a 1986 40 hp Johnson with a Prestolite power tilt and trim. The unit lifts the motor and lowers the motor just fine. However once the motor is in the up position it slowly falls all the way back down. I checked the fluid and it is full, and there is no evidence of water and it is very clean looking. Its definitely ATF. I also lifted the motor all the way up and cracked the manual bleeder to try and blow any debris out and the motor still falls back to its lower position. Could a seal be blown? Not sure what to do next, any help would be appreciated.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/10/16 @ 1:23 PM
Northern_Reaper
User since 7/26/16
Yea it has no external leaks, everything is tight, and fluid level is perfect. I'm really leaning towards its an internal leak past a valve or seal. It takes about 10 minutes for the motor to fall all the way back down. Just was curious if anybody knew of some other little trick I could possibly try but it's sounding like a repair is in order

8/9/16 @ 9:27 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

I thought that I had blown a seal on my trim unit, as it was leaking fluid. Turns out that that seal or cap on the top of the ram was loone. But if you are slowly slipping down, I would suspect low fluid. How long does it take to slip down?

8/9/16 @ 9:26 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Sounds like you may have a seal leaking internally if you are losing pressure without leaking any fluid. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
8/9/16 @ 9:08 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

First guess was the fluid is low.. I think you have a seal going bad..However what doesn't make sense is that the fluid is still full. I have had it happen on bigger outboards and the fluid ids low and I see just a little wet spot.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.