power loading DNR say's no more

7/24/16 @ 10:13 AM
ORIGNAL POST
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
Why-You-Should-Not-Power-Load-Your-Boat  

This above is video Link on the power loading 

problem

Thank you for contacting the Department of Natural Resources.

Power loading is not a law in Wisconsin, regardless of the posting.  It is a recommendation by the entity that owns the boat landing.  The reason is because power loading creates  a hole by the landing.  So slightly more than idle is not power loading.

Thank you,

Judy C.

We are committed to service excellence.

Visit our survey at DNR customer survey to evaluate how I did.

Bureau of Customer and Outreach Services
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Phone: 1-888-936-7463
Fax: 608-261-4380
CSWeb@wisconsin.gov

cid:image001.gif@01CFD1B6.C33F43B0 dnr.wi.gov

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/26/16 @ 7:21 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

"You cannot power load your boat in Washington county."

Unless there's someone at those launches 24/7 enforcing the law, it will continue.  I wish I still had my picture of the Coasties power loading their boat at the public launch in Kewaunee right under the sign that reads, "No Power Loading".

7/26/16 @ 6:02 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Anybody who can't figure out that power loading will create a drop off on the end of cement ramp needs to go back to school and graduate.

7/25/16 @ 8:32 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

You cannot power load your boat in Washington county. That includes Pike, Big Cedar and Little Cedar. All 3 lakes have county launches. It started with Big Cedar and it is spreading to other lakes. 

7/25/16 @ 4:21 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

hmmm, power loading creating bass habitat, hahaha

I don't get out as much as I use to, but when I have a partner to fish with, landing the boat involves me guiding the trailer to a certain depth while I'm in the boat, then  I line the boat up and tilt the motor up so there's no way it could affect the launch, plus the motor's tilt raises the bow while driving on to the trailer, and partner snaps on the hook, and engages the winch...

7/25/16 @ 4:09 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

there is a little hidden away ramp close to my house. It has a pretty good hole behind it from power loading but not enough to get your prop into.  However it is usually a good place to catch a nice bass if you need one in a pinch.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
7/25/16 @ 11:48 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
I had that problem on long lake up there

7/25/16 @ 11:39 AM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

I've seen so many launches that are almost unlaunchable now that power loaders have blown out sand and gravel toward the lake bed.  The area behind the blowout hole becomes so shallow you will bust a prop if you back out.  Some examples are White Sand off of K, Big Arbor Vitae, Plum and North Nokomis in northern Wisconsin..  Back your trailer in a little more or be prepared to crank up your boat.

7/25/16 @ 10:42 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I had to chuckle.  I was up north once with my dad, fishing one of our favorite walleye lakes.  Residents on the lake really don't like having a public launch on "their" lake, so they made a sign and posted it at the launch banning power loading.  

Well, we did our usual routine for getting the boat on the trailer, which isn't powerloading.  Just glider her onto the bunks, then give it a little gas to snug it up to the cradle and everything is done.  

And when I say "a little gas", that is what I mean, just a little, like 1/4 power, for all of a half second. Well, I did that, it created a little wake and you would have thought that I was drowning puppies.  These residents at the launch came over and gave me an earful then pointed at their sign.  I laughed and told them to check the regs and went on my merry way.

I get what powerloading does, but some of these residents are a little out of their minds.

7/24/16 @ 7:57 PM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14

The problem with this topic is WHAT IS power loading.  I was brought up with the notion that putting the trailer minimally in the water and forcing the boat onto the trailer using high RPMs on the big motor was power loading, not simply running it onto the trailer at idle speed, then winching it up the rest of the way.   I sure believe the first can cause tons of damage while I will argue that the latter does not.

What is... power loading.....

ChuckC

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.