Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

oars or paddles

2/23/19 @ 5:56 PM
ORIGNAL POST
5bluegills
User since 5/2/08

does anyone think its necessary to have oars or paddles if you have an outboard and a trolling motor my thought is what r the odds neither wood work

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/25/19 @ 8:22 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Murphy’s law states: If your motor doesn’t start, you somehow will not have enough juice in trolling motor battery to get back to launch. (Remember, You always have your starting motor battery to throw on your trolling motor if it’s 12v. ) I don’t think my buddies carry a paddle but I always do. Been there, done that.

2/24/19 @ 4:31 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Fishing with some friends on a pontoon boat we ran out of gas.Somthing always happened when I fished with the guy that owned the pontoon.We had two paddles and we were three miles from the launch and four guys so we could take turns.We made it but it sure took some time Rip big dad you were a hoot.

2/24/19 @ 3:10 PM
5bluegills
User since 5/2/08

thanks for all the feedback looks like small paddle it is

2/24/19 @ 10:49 AM
shadling1
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
I have a small collapsible paddle in my bass boat. I've used it to push off stuff a couple times and that's about it. I fish big waters most of the time where I'm 5+ miles from where I launch. I seriously doubt its usefulness to get very far in any larger boat, especially with a slight breeze. I feel my cell phone is probably much handier if everything crapped out on me. It's easy to store so I keep it in there. If you have a smaller boat probably a much more useful item.

2/24/19 @ 8:47 AM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Interesting question, I was sure that WI required an oar or paddle in a powered boat, but they do not.  I just checked the rules on WI dnr site.  Not sure of different regulations for various counties or waterways, though.

I've always kept a paddle in the bottom of one of my rod compartments....used it here and there mostly for pushing off stuff.  An oar would be too heavy and too large to fit in any of my boat's compartments, though...

2/24/19 @ 8:03 AM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

Better check your state laws. I think you have to have a paddle in your boat in some states.  I always have a paddle anyway to push yourself off of things or slap your fishing partner if they are out catching you. 

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
2/23/19 @ 9:28 PM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08

I have a pretty small boat with minimal storage. Still have a paddle that I attached to the cover of the battery compartment. Rather be safe than sorry. 

2/23/19 @ 9:01 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

you ever hear of murphys law?

If you have room then carry a paddle. I like the paddle with a little hook on the handle to pull into or push off the dock.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.