Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

new to boats, looking for feedback

6/9/16 @ 4:16 PM
ORIGNAL POST
eber
User since 6/9/16

i picked up an older boat a couple years ago. it has ran very well until now. i picked it up from the marina that stored/winterized it and i heard a slight whining kind of sound from the motor when i put it in drive. i didnt think much of it but about an hour later the boat would not go into gear. i had to drive it back in reverse. the marina says it sounds like a bad lower unit and i should pull it out and bring it in. my question is how do i know if this thing was winterized properly? it ran great when it came out of the water and now an hour later (of use) my lower unit makes noise and could be shot?

please give me some feedback!!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/15/16 @ 4:43 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

Depending on the motor it can get expensive. I shelled one last year and it cost me $2850.00.  It locked up and the motor just stopped. No reverse no forward.. You have to take out both drain plugs and if there is water in it it comes out first... The oil will look milky also.. When you refill make sure to fill from the bottom and pump it until the lube comes out the top hole . Did the place where you bought it offer any warranty other than tail light warranty.  

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
6/13/16 @ 2:13 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

When you pulled the drain screw out, did you also pull the vent screw out? sometimes you will get very little oil coming out of the drain until you pull the vent screw also.

Who winterized your motor for you?

6/12/16 @ 3:09 PM
eber
User since 6/9/16

I took the drain screw out and no oil came out. I think this confirms my suspicion that the whine i heard when they launched it was the gears with no lube.

6/10/16 @ 2:32 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

It sounds like you are having a problem with the shift shaft in the lower unit. These types of problems can come up at any time.

Having said that, I would pull the screw that drains the lower unit and inspect the grease for water, also I would look at the screw for possible metal shavings.

6/10/16 @ 1:51 PM
eber
User since 6/9/16

thanks

6/9/16 @ 4:43 PM
woodscreek
User since 2/16/11

First thing I would do is see if there is gear lube in the lower unit. Make sure there are seals on the screws. Next pressure test the lower unit to see if there are leaks.This should give you a starting point.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.