LOGIN
Lake-Link

Motor only starts with "high idle"

5/11/14 @ 5:21 PM
ORIGNAL POST
walleyeguy007
walleyeguy007
User since 1/1/06
I bought a boat the other day. Tracker Angler Pro V16 with a 75hp Force. The boat is in great shape. Everything works except starting the motor.

I can't start the motor unless I push the button in and engage the "high idle" as if I was starting it in the cold. The owner said he fogged the motor last fall before putting it away. Could that be the issue? Also, once I get it started it won't stay on for very long at just an idle even when the motor is warmed. I just replaced the plugs. I put in premium no-ethonal gas and mixed it with Quicksilver oil. The motor runs great while I am powered up, just not the best at idle. If someone has any insight as to what this could be please chime in! I live in Rapids if someone wants to meet me at the launch and I could show them too. Thanks! This is my first "real" boat. After spending money on a boat I don't have a ton to stick into it at a marina.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/13/14 @ 11:01 AM
walleyeguy007
walleyeguy007
User since 1/1/06
Thanks for the help guys. I put a can of sea foam in the tank and adjusted the idle screw a little on the motor. Now it idles perfect!

5/12/14 @ 1:20 PM
bonz-dragon
User since 6/16/09
Maybe time to pull that carb and give it a really good cleaning. May also want to inspect all the fuel line hoses. E10 gas does horribale things to them.

Just spent the day changing every fuel hose on my 1983 60hp Johnson because it was hard starting and while looking at it while it was running I could see all the ends of the hoses were wet and dripping.

5/12/14 @ 10:10 AM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
Have a 90 Merc that I always need to cold start with high idle, quickly let back and push choke button a couple of times to warm up. Once it is warmed up no need for high idle starts. I did find using non-ethanol gas, it will idle and not quit out on me. I also use sea foam every tank fill. In fact I use it in every motor I have with better results!

5/12/14 @ 6:53 AM
walleyeguy007
walleyeguy007
User since 1/1/06
I actually don't mind Force. Before I got my boat I fished in a family members boat a lot. He had the exact same motor I have. He doesn't winterize it. Don't think he has ever changed the lower unit oil. Going on year prob 10 on the same plugs and it sat all summer last year until this spring. He took it out this year and it fired over like it had been babied its entire life. Not saying it's smart but it still runs great. It's made by Merc. It can't be that horrible.

5/12/14 @ 6:23 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Could it be a clogged idle jet? Sure has the symptoms

5/12/14 @ 12:26 AM
Walleasy
Walleasy
User since 2/17/13
It's a Force motor sorry for your misfortune!

5/11/14 @ 11:09 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
From what I have seen the high idle advances your timing. It might need a little adjustment. Open the cover and engage the high idle you should be able to see how it works.

5/11/14 @ 7:37 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
MEMBER since 2/12/02
I can tell you what I have done with great results. Learned it from a outboard mechanic. I pour half a can of seafoam in a qt jar fill with gas and draw from the jar instead of my tank By the time the jar is empty it is usually running smooth. I spray sea foam in carb too while doing this. In a premix tank take oil into consideration. This is what I do............... results may vary.

5/11/14 @ 7:23 PM
walleyeguy007
walleyeguy007
User since 1/1/06
I'm guessing filling up the fuel tank, 11 gallons, and then adding the seafoam would be the thing to try. I don't think there is a straw in the carb from fogging it. It does idle sometimes but not for long

5/11/14 @ 6:42 PM
Silverwing
User since 5/21/05
My son and I had a similar problem with our mercury motor. We took it to a repair dealer and he found that when fogging the small straw we used, it had come off and was keeping the butterflies open on the carb. That could be the problem. Good Luck.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.