LOGIN
Lake-Link

Motor fired then wouldn't start

8/26/17 @ 9:08 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13

Started my 96 115hp mariner like usual.  It will fire then quit then fire up again but this time it didnt.  Got home took plugs out rolled it over to clean out gas since I flooded it from not starting.  Put new plugs in still nothing.  Haven't checked spark yet but it's getting gas.  If it's not getting spark is this an easy fix?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/3/17 @ 10:36 AM
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13

Just an update

I did go with a stator from cdi...looks different with out the coils being enclosed like the oem one.  Only bad thing was I had to change all the ends on the wires but they supplied the connections in the box.  I now have spark so should be good to go!  It was the blue set of wires that were bad on my stator.  THE WIRES WERE SO LIMP ALMOST LIKE SPAGETTI.  Thanks for the help.  Have to torque my flywheel down then time to fire it up.

9/2/17 @ 9:16 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

Go with parts from CDI Electronics.Improved version vs OEM.

8/28/17 @ 8:28 AM
EZ
MEMBER since 7/3/01

I know it's a long shot, but don't rule out a faulty kill switch. Happened to me years ago with a 90 hp Johnson, with similar symptoms. My mechanic thought he had it pinpointed to another component (I don't recall which), replaced it, and same problem. Back to the drawing board, and found out it was the kill switch, a $20 part. Problem solved.

8/27/17 @ 7:13 PM
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13

It's a black one.  Now time to shop around for a new one.  Are these a pain to do?  Looks like pull flywheel and play with some wires.  

8/27/17 @ 6:30 PM
boattech
User since 12/22/04

Don't know if the aftermarket books will have the procedure for testing the stator.  Is the stator red or black?  If it is black they had a bulliten for changing out to a red one.  By the sounds of it your stator is bad.  If you would have had spark when you pulled the wire off it would be the CDI. 

8/27/17 @ 4:07 PM
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13

Thanks water

I have on youtube all day and I'm thinking it's actually the stator which is bad which can also kill the cdi box.  I feel pretty good about replacing the cdi box and stator after looking at some very helpful vidoes.  

8/27/17 @ 12:43 PM
waterbugg
User since 6/13/09

See if your local library has outboard repair manuals by Ken Cook. if so they might have a trouble shooting chart that may help.

8/27/17 @ 9:46 AM
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13

Took black wire off with yellow stripe.....still nothing.  The right side of cdi box has nothing....tiny tiny bit of spark and the left side is good.  Now before I order cdi box could it be power pack or stator????  

8/26/17 @ 8:59 PM
boattech
User since 12/22/04
Pull the black with yellow stripe wire off the CDI.  Then crank to see if you have spark.  

8/26/17 @ 2:05 PM
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13

Don't have spark...but have power to cdi box just none coming out to coils.....looks fun with all the wires gonna have to label them really nicely....

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.