LOGIN
Lake-Link

MinnKota Powerdrive vs. Terrova?

3/19/17 @ 12:34 PM
ORIGNAL POST
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

I am upgrading my front troller and trying to decide between a MinnKota Powerdrive and the Terrova on my 2002 16' Lund.   I am a senior citizen and struggle a bit with my present troller.  I read that the terrova is much easier to deploy and stow and that interests me.  I am trying to stick to a budget but if some extra money is well spent, I can do that.  Opinions?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/29/17 @ 6:35 PM
Hooky
MEMBER since 12/17/01

The Terrova is well worth the extra money

3/26/17 @ 7:48 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09

I have a 24v terrova and my dad (in his 60s) has the 12v.   He has a bit smaller boat so he got a shorter shaft they are both very easy to stow and deploy.  An idea would be to mount a ram ball on the shaft by the head I have the mount to keep the shaft from flopping around but my dad just has the ball on his and that gives you a little something to hold onto.  Spend the extra on terrova don't get the power drive.

3/26/17 @ 3:07 PM
Pioneer22
User since 5/28/07

Powerdrive is an awful and cheap trolling motor.  Both my dad and I both bought Power Drives when we got newer boats.  Didn't want to spend a lot more on Trolling motor after purchasing boats.  I've been through 4 foot pedals in 5 years and he's been through 3 in 3 years.  They react slow and are not easy to deploy.  The boat I just bought has a terrova and we are trying to convince him to bite the bullet and upgrade.  Each foot pedal is $100 and it ads up quick...  I love Minn Kota but not this model.

3/26/17 @ 2:22 PM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08

Motorguide xi5 does come in 12v. Big fan of mine. 

3/26/17 @ 8:20 AM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

I think the Motorguide just comes in a 24 volt?

My boat is set up for 12 volts too, with a group 31 battery and a single bank 10 AMP charger. I have never been in a situation where I needed a 24 volt motor yet. Putting two new batteries and a new charger in my boat would add quite a bit to my purchase.

3/25/17 @ 12:55 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
User since 3/26/15

Don't forget about the motorguide xi5 either. I think they are about the same to stow and deploy as the terrova and maybe a little less expensive. Do you plan on getting an ipilot version?  I just have to add that the anchor lock on my xi5 is amazing. Haven't touched an anchor since I've had it.

3/25/17 @ 10:29 AM
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

Thanks for the opinions folks.  Also I am sticking to the 12 volt setup that my boat now has.  I am never out on the water trolling to need the 24 volt system and I don't know if 2 batteries can fit in my '02 Lund.  I would also have to change my on-board charger.  Those extra costs will add up.

3/19/17 @ 2:09 PM
stl ken
User since 2/22/10

Tuffy's correct  !   I Have the Terrova on my 18 1/2' glass deep  vee, and by brother in law has the power drive on his 16 1/2' alumacraft. I'm 62 and the Terrova is a lot easier to deploy. I Run the trolling motor on both boats so I operate them both, sometimes on the same day.  I Also like the foot controls better on the Terrova . 

3/19/17 @ 12:58 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

I am doing the same thing this year. I too have a 16' Aluminum boat. I am ordering a 55# Terrova with a 54" shaft and iPilot. I have moved both of my graphs to the rear of the boat, so I can run them with one on mapping and one on sonar at the same time.

The Terrova has the easy deploy feature, plus it has the Maximizer motor. You can run a lot of hours on a charge with that motor. I had the same motor on my Maxxum cable steer and it worked flawlessly for five seasons.

This will be my first electric steer motor, but from what I observed on the water, it is very beneficial to the senior fisherman.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.