Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Minn Kota Ulterra 80 with i-pilot link

8/1/16 @ 11:33 AM
ORIGNAL POST
HFC
User since 9/27/02

I want to put a Minnkota Ulterra 80 with i-pilot link on my boat with ethernet linked to bow and console Hummingbird locators. Does anyone have any experience using this setup? I am looking for any lessons learned so I don't duplicate someone else's mistakes.

This is going on a Smokercraft 178 Ultima. Should I go with the 45 or 60 inch shaft? I know the recommendations to measure, just looking for imput from people who have this boat and what work better.

Thanks for your insight!!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/1/16 @ 8:31 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Big Musky,  I was going to say you stated incorrectly how to wire the batteries.   Then I re-read what you said, you said tie negative cable of starting battery to neagative of one of your trolling batteries, is that correct?  That will elimniate noise heh?  Never heard that, but nice trick to keep up my sleeve.

Thanks

8/1/16 @ 4:27 PM
Major Mark
Major Mark
MEMBER since 5/20/05

Musky pretty much nailed it. I'd add to make sure the factory wiring you mentioned (if used at all) is 6 gauge wiring. I'd add a plugin on the deck bow to allow unplugging the TM before plugging the charger. Take the risk of power surge out of play if the charger should malfunction in any way. Shouldn't need the factory battery meter to be in the system, Minnkota motors have a battery test light system built in.  I would utilize the battery you now have for running your Bird(s).

8/1/16 @ 4:24 PM
HFC
User since 9/27/02

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate you taking time to do so!!!

8/1/16 @ 2:54 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

The trolling motor (24V) system needs to be dedicated with nothing else running on it.  Those batteries should be group 27 or larger, I recommend group 31 if you like to fight elements or troll with your bow mount.   

As mentioned, use 6 awg wire up to bow mount from where batteries are located.  The negative terminal of starting (12V) should be tied to negative terminal of 24v system (make sure you pick terminal not in series with positive terminal of other battery).  This connection will eliminate noise.  

Try to make sure you do not run your ethernet/link cable in the same runs as power cables.   You should also try and run 12v and 24v power cables away from each other as well to eliminate noise sources.   

The trolling motor I believe has a ground lead to connect  to bow mount locator, make sure you make this.  I had to add it ex-factory on my bird to eliminate noise but I believe it is now on units standard.  

You should heat shrink power connections to prevent corrosion. Make sure you put a self resetting breaker with APPROPRIATE rating on the positive terminal of 24V system.  A relay breaker on motor alone is not enough because nothing is protecting 6awg wire running to motor.  

I would also recommend a 3 bank on board charger as part of upgrade to maintain all batteries when boat is not in use. 

8/1/16 @ 1:43 PM
HFC
User since 9/27/02

Currently there is no bow mount trolling motor installed. The factory wiring and plug/battery meter console in the bow are in place. I have a 12 volt battery connected that the previous owner used for stereo and ship/shore radio.

I will put in a 24V installation.  Do I need to do anything to the factory wiring that is in place?

8/1/16 @ 12:48 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Definately go with the 60" shaft.

Are you adding this 24 volt motor or upgrading a 24 volt?  If adding as new, or switching from a 12 volt, I would use 6 gage wire, and purchase two like batteries.  Good idea to have two new batteries rather than 1 new and one old, and make sure that they are the same size as well.

For ease of use if this is a new 24 volt system, make the 24 volts at the battery not at the plug.

The Ulterra is advertised as not needing a ram mount head stabilizer.  That goes against everything us Walleye guys believe in.  However if you add the ram ball head, it can get in the way of the motor when it deploys and cause the motor to bind.  I think I seen a new ram trolling motor stabilze that had a straop that wrapped over the shaft of the motor, that intrigued me.

8/1/16 @ 12:10 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

get 60 inch shaft.   I have many times even pulled that out of water when fighting big wind. 

Are you re-wiring everything from scratch?  There are a lot of general trolling motor and locator best practices you could do while doing the upgrade to help prevent problems.   

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.