SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Livewell seam leak

12/23/17 @ 11:28 AM
INITIAL POST
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

I have a 12 year old StarCraft C Star 166.  I noticed at the end of this year water was leaking out of the live well and on to the floor.  I did some testing and the water did not leak onto the floor until I filled the live well with about 5" of water.  I am considering spraying the seams of the live well with a flex seal type product.  I am concerned about the spray on material somehow tainting the fish I'm going to eat.  I'm a genius?  I'm am idiot?  Other suggestions?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
10/9/19 @ 12:37 PM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

So I took it to a different marina for an oil change and had them look at the leak.  It turns out the pump had a leak in it, that was the cause.  The first marina DID spray the flex seal inside of it and it's all come off in just under a season of fishing.  

4/19/18 @ 9:39 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

I think pin pointing where the leak is is first. If it’s a fitting and you can’t replace the fitting, I would silicone. If a crack or seam, Then personally I would use an epoxy product if it is an older alum well. West system makes great stuff designed for alum and/or plastic/poly. A stick epoxy or resin/paste.

4/9/18 @ 12:01 PM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

I took the boat in to get ready for summer and I told them about the leak.  They said they found 2 and it looks like they sprayed it with flexseal, LOL.  I didn't tell them how to fix it, just to find them and fix it, and as long as it doesn't leak, that's ok with me.  They did do a very nice job with it. The only downside is it's black, it may be hard to find escaped minnows in there and to find fish to count.  

1/1/18 @ 11:24 AM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

Don't know the plumbing on that particular boat. If the drain is in the bottom of the well and is controlled by a valve in the drain hose it may be the plumbing. If you have a drain plug in the bottom of the tank it probably is the tank.

12/28/17 @ 9:39 PM
JAA On the Fox
JAA On the Fox
User since 6/4/11

Silicone all the seams and see if the leak stops. Worst case scenario is you determine the leak is coming from a seam and you're out a few bucks.

Like it was said before, you wont need to worry about it tainting the fish.

12/27/17 @ 1:34 PM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

The leak has not been positively located.  I do know it starts to leak then the livewell is about 5" full, so that to me means it's a seam and not the overflow or fill tube seals.  

12/26/17 @ 11:26 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Good point highthrust, I had assumes we knew where the leak was

12/25/17 @ 9:36 AM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

Have you located the leak spot? I've seen this same thing with a drain hose/fitting leak. Until there is some water in the well there is very little pressure on the drain line.

12/24/17 @ 8:39 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I think applying a silcone sealant would solve your issues and you would not have to worry about tainting the fish you are going to eat.

12/24/17 @ 10:48 AM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

I have a can of the brush on stuff and the only thing it says is non toxic and non hazardous.

12/23/17 @ 9:03 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Maybe food grade silicone?

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Food-Grade-Silicone-Sealant/dp/B0063U2RWU

12/23/17 @ 6:38 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

It should say on can if it's approved for potable water

12/23/17 @ 12:00 PM
fishiz2
fishiz2
User since 7/1/03

You are the tester of this possibly genius idea. Let us know what happens if you do. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE