Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

kicker motor and setup question

7/19/16 @ 1:03 PM
ORIGNAL POST
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13

I have been trolling with my 90hp evinrude etec, and sick of fouling plugs.  I am thinking of a 9.9 merc 4 stroke kicker. Beyond that I dont know what to get. I know I want it hooked into my existing gas tank, and have it hooked to my outboard so i can use the steering wheel.  I would also like the throttle controls by my evinrude controls along with electric start and have the kicker charge my cranking battery.  Whay bracket should i get? And with all that I want with this setup, am I looking at the wrong kicker, or should i get something else. I have a 17.5 ft alumacraft trophy if that makes any difference in selection. Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/28/16 @ 2:37 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13

So I finally pulled the trigger and bought a mercury pro kicker 9.9 with electric trim and start. It also has the remote setup so I can steer with my steering wheel. My question is when I am in plane and the kicker trimmed up all the way the 2 straps that are attached to the kicker to make it more rigid dont allow me to turn the steering wheel. I have to lower the kicker 30 degrees so I can turn the steering wheel some.  When I take the straps off I have full use of steering wheel. Do I need those straps on the kicker, or just having it trimmed up all the way enough?

7/21/16 @ 1:59 PM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
User since 9/4/06

the 4 stroke kicker can be hooked up to the boats main fuel tank using a "T" junction in the fuel line.  Just make sure there are bulbs between the T and motor for both the main motor and kicker

7/20/16 @ 8:15 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
Two-Motor-Trolling

read what he has to say

7/20/16 @ 7:11 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13

I have a 2 stroke etec. The oil tank for the etec is under the cover. Dont need external oil tank for the etec. I thought the kickers had there own oil tank inside the engine like my etec. 

7/20/16 @ 6:03 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
User since 8/7/15
Is your main motor a 2 stroke? Do you mix oil in your gas tank? If you do, the 4 stroke will need a separate tank. If you don't, the 2 stroke will need a separate tank.

7/20/16 @ 5:17 PM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13

Any brands or certain years I sbould stay away from. Looking at 2004 mercury 2 stroke with bracket and controls with low hours for 1300. Or a 2000 mercury bigfoot 4 stroke with bracket and controls for 1700. Any suggestions

7/20/16 @ 7:05 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
17.5 ft alumacraft trophy 

I would say 25 the transom on that it exlarge in height 

7/20/16 @ 6:38 AM
joeblue83
User since 5/15/13

Do I need a 20 or 25 inch shaft?

7/19/16 @ 2:19 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
kicker-motor-fuel-connection

I have picture of the fuel connection and the Two motors

connected 

panthermarineproducts.com there the pro's at kickers

7/19/16 @ 1:28 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
User since 8/7/15
It looks like there's enough room to hang the kicker directly off the transom on a Trophy. That would be the cleanest setup. To hook up the gas just put a "T" in the line before the bulb for the main motor. Connect the power to your existing starting battery and you're good to go. If you get a Prokicker it'll have power trim. It's nice to not have to drop and pull it up by hand. To connect it to the main motor there are a couple of ways. What I used was a link I got from Fleet Farm. Cabelas has them also. But twice the price. You mount a ball similar to an automotive ball joint to both motors and a rod connects the two. It may take some bending and cutting, but once it's done it works flawlessly. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.