Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Johnson 2005 50hp oil injection

11/20/14 @ 1:13 PM
ORIGNAL POST
67year oldrookie
User since 4/4/14
being very new to boating the pontoon we bought has a Johnson 50hp oil injection motor with about 60 hours on it. Is this a good motor or should I look to upgrade to a 4 cycle 50hp

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/22/14 @ 8:07 PM
Rifleman1962
Rifleman1962
User since 4/16/11
To dis-able the V.R.O. All you have to do is un-hook the purple wire from the V.R.O. It is just a fuel pump and the purple wire just runs power to the oil sensor on the v.r.o. Now just mix your gas and oil. We used to remove the v.r.o's and use a regular fuel pump. Now we just use the v.r.o as the fuel pump, which it is and take away the power so the oil sensor does not keep going off.

11/20/14 @ 8:13 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I agree LF. Taking out the VRO pump and mixing your gas is a great way to go if your motor has known VRO issues. Not quite as convenient, but does give a guy piece of mind...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
11/20/14 @ 8:02 PM
67year oldrookie
User since 4/4/14
as always, great help from you guys

11/20/14 @ 2:34 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
Also, even if it falls in the years of bad VROs, that doesn't mean you will definitely have a problem. I had a Johnson 40 with a lot of hours and had no problem. The VRO can be bypassed as well and then you just mix gas.

11/20/14 @ 2:31 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
The older Johnsons had VRO (variable rate oiler) issues where the VRO would go out without warning and blow your engine. Luckily I think the issue was taKen care of by 04 but I would look into it just to be sure. A 4 stroke will be quiter than a 2 stroke which I imagine would be beneficial on a pontoon. As for the performance difference I'm not sure how you would notice a difference. If I were you I would leave it as is and see how you think it operates as is and make a decision from there. You can likely put a larger motor on the boat which people rarely regret. If you do upgrade don't hesitate to look at an Etec. 4 stroke noise with 2 stroke power.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.