MORE
Boats & Motors

How often are you guys changing water impeller on your motor

4/18/17 @ 6:53 PM
INITIAL POST
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

How often are you guys changing your water impellers on your motors , have not changed mine in a while but have not seemed to have an issues , never runs hot and always have good stream out the pee hole 

Displaying 11 to 19 of 19 posts
4/19/17 @ 5:16 PM
boattech
User since 12/22/04

Here is an example of the reason why I change mine the way I do.  These pictures are from my pontoon 48 SPL Evinrude.   Lake up in Oneida County mainly sand.

The first picture is the old one (2 years old) and a brand new one.  You can see that it cups to the impeller housing causing creases in the rubber. The longer it sits the more it forms to the housing and won't bend out to the housing while being ran.  

The second picture is where you can see the creases better. This is where it could break off and cause a blockage.   If you notice the ends are being scored from the sand of the lake.  It will wear the ends down and the metal housing can be scored also.  

I  always go with an impeller repair kit that includes a new metal housing for the impeller and the plate the impeller rides on also.  

I hope this helps some of you!

How often are you guys changing water impeller on your motor photo by boattech
4/19/17 @ 2:29 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

If you run your motor in clear deep lakes you can easily make it 4 years.  If you are a river rat and run your motor on the Fox, Wolf, or similar river with stained water and mud - every other year.   It really depends where you boat.

4/19/17 @ 1:43 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

It kind of depends on how you use your motor.  Not what seasons you fish, but how you treat the engine.  I have a 250 Optimax and I let that thing warm up to 115+ degrees on the Smart Guage before I really get it moving. I was told once that a warm engine helps the water pump, but I'm not overly sure if that is correct.

I still try to change the impeller every other year. 

4/19/17 @ 10:30 AM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

mattw

There is no easy answer. The dealers will tell you every year. You will be throwing away good parts if you do. 

As said - it depends on your hours, what speed you run, and water conditions. 

The best tool I've used for years in my business is a water pressure gauge. You will  know when your pump degrades or if something is plugged.

It helps eliminate surprises without wasting money replacing good parts. 

4/18/17 @ 8:46 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

If you do your own work, it is not pricey or difficult to do. I do believe it would make an enjoyable day/weekend on the water a bunch shorter. 

Besides, it's a good time to drain/ change the lower unit grease, look for anything unusual and pull the prop and remove the fishing line that people so graciously toss overboard.

4/18/17 @ 7:38 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Awesome will change mine out then, I have an older motor which I am not getting rid of any time soon and need it to work with out issues 

4/18/17 @ 7:07 PM
boattech
User since 12/22/04

All depends on hours used.  My pontoon up north I change every other year because it's only used a few times a month. My fishing boat every year.  It is used almost every weekend from March to September. Most people should replace it every other year.  It is the heat and sole of your motor.

Displaying 11 to 19 of 19 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE