Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Force Mercury 40 hp won't stay running,,

8/8/16 @ 10:33 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Joe88
User since 2/20/10

OE025715 if I tie a string to the choke flap  I can keep it running ! 

How do I fix this? Thank you. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/10/16 @ 10:20 PM
Muskyhunter440
User since 6/1/04

I have a 1988 Mercury Force 50 hp.  I think I had the same problem as you stated.  Mine would start up would quit within a few seconds.  Turned out being the electronic choke.  Had my marine service guy replace it and it runs great.  Think it cost me around $130 total with service.  Might be your problem.  He stated if you put the key in the ignition, do not turn it to start it but just in auxillary power, push the key in, and you do not hear the click that it is your electronic choke. 

Give it a try, if you do not hear the click then that might be your problem.  Since mine was replaced it starts right up.

Let us know what you find

8/10/16 @ 4:11 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Sounds like its time for service. 

8/8/16 @ 10:43 PM
walleyeguy007
walleyeguy007
User since 1/1/06

I just sold the boat I had with a 75 Force. I couldn't keep it running unless throttle was applied. I thought it was the fuel line, pump, losing pressure, ect. I took it in to have the carb cleaned and the guy found that the little brass tube that feeds fuel up from the bowl that you can see right in the carb intake had a hairline crack that you could hardly see. It was basically flooding out. New/used carb and no issues after that. If I held the flap slightly open it would idle but as soon as I went into neutral it died within seconds.

Not saying that's the problem you're facing but it's a possibility. It could honestly be a multitude of issues. This is just something that happened to me that isn't common that you could rule out right away with a flashlight and a little look-see.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.