LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fiberglass repair shop horrible

4/11/17 @ 11:18 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13

Got my boat fixed for the 2nd time at the place across from fleet farm last Nov.  They do very poor work and I would know I have 14yrs in the paint industry.  Crack he fixed came back and just shady work overall.  Told me i hit something...really.....Well to my suprise today while putting my rear battery In i noticed water in my hull......my plug was in as usual after I drain the one drop after loading it up it goes back in.  We'll he must of kept my boat outside in quite a bit of rain.  I was under the understanding that he called when it was done and was going to have it in right away.  Should of talked about that in depth and yes I should of pulled plug out.  Will get back into habit of keeping it out again.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/12/17 @ 11:01 PM
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13

I keep it in since last year when i launched the boat without the plug in and told myself leave the thing in....boat doesn't take on any water....I pull it at the landing every time when loaded up...little sleep ...young kids tend...to do stupid things.....like not putting the plug in lol...I will get back into the habit of taking it out as the law will change like you guys said.....I guess I should of asked if boat would be inside or not....but ya prob shouldn't have left it in dumb on my part but as far as the quality of work not happy....this just was just the icing on the cake....if it was my shop i wouldn't give a customer  the quality of work he gave me twice.

4/12/17 @ 10:48 PM
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13

Located on pop st....fleet farm on wisconsin....appleton boat repair.

4/12/17 @ 11:00 AM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
User since 3/26/15

As others have said you should always pull the plug when not on the water. Isn't it law now?

4/12/17 @ 10:23 AM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

Just curious as to which Fleet Farm that you are referring to. The two Fleet Farms in my area don't have a fiberglass repair shop across the street.

4/12/17 @ 9:32 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01
My boat is a pain in the but to get to the drain plug!  I have a bilge pump in there as well.  If I have to leave the boat outside I normally do pull the plug.  It takes several minutes to get the thing out - it's in a very hard to reach area with lots of wires in the way.  That time I brought my boat in I blame myself for forgetting to pull the plug though.  I don't think it is the dealer's problem to pull the plug in someone's boat if it'll be stored outside.

4/12/17 @ 8:53 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

They pull the plug on a owners boat who has never pulled his, and don't tell them. That would be a much bigger issue. Like mine for example. I wouldn't want them touching mine. Next time cover it or pull the plug. 

4/12/17 @ 8:51 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I'm just curious as to why you don't leave the plug out until you're ready to launch? I pull the plug out when I pull the boat out of the water and don't put it back until I launch again. May as well start because it'll likely become law as it is already in MN.

I would hardly find fault with a fiberglass shop for not pulling your plug. If my boat was going to be left outside, I certainly wouldn't expect anyone but myself to have my boat prepared to be left outside. 

4/12/17 @ 6:30 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01
I don't think the repair shops do anything to your boat except the work that's needed.  Similar experience for me last year, but I was getting a new fish locator/gps installed.  They only have storage outside.  I was on vacation while they worked on the boat and while I was gone we had a pretty big rain and snow storm go through, followed by freezing temperatures. When I got home I noticed the trailer was sitting a little low.  Oops I forgot to pull the drain plug! I got inside the boat and the water level was up to the top of where it could go with about an inch of ice on top!  I couldn't even reach the plug because it was iced over.  Luckily the bilge pump worked and I got most of the water out that way. then had to wait for the ice to melt and the sun to do it's job drying out the deck. The bilge pump ran for almost a half an hour non-stop!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.